USA. "Solution" for Bush's costly wars: Disposable veterans, and disposable poor people.
- Partially due to the drug war, many vets discharged from service due to PTSD, etc., combined with drug problems, are being refused VA health care of any kind. See NPR story.
- The GOP War on Christmas. Republicans cut food stamps, but do little to end expensive mandatory minimum sentencing, or to rollback the costly Republican-led drug war.
|Some selected international news from the last few months|
Oliver Stone: JFK conspiracy deniers are in denial. You decide. The U.S. police state has expanded greatly in the last 50 years.
|More cannabis-related links, city lists, and graphics.|
|Search for marijuana march videos. And more.|
|See 2013 Global Marijuana March city list. 2|
- Brazil. Cannabis-related links.
- marchadamaconha.org - forums. Google site search for Sao Paulo. Sao Paulo forum.
- Email: saopaulo (at) marchadamaconha.org
Social media, Facebook Edit
City info Edit
- Google Maps: Sao Paulo.
- Google images.
- Wikipedia: Sao Paulo.
- Wikitravel: Sao Paulo.
- WeBeHigh.com: Sao Paulo.
Global Marijuana March Edit
GMM (years signed up). This city participated or signed up one year (or more) for the Global Marijuana March (GMM), or the Million Marijuana March (MMM). 225 cities from 42 nations signed up for May 4, 2013 or thereabouts.175 cities from 33 nations signed up for May 5, 2012 or thereabouts. See also: 4/20 event lists. 813 different cities have signed up from 72 different nations since 1999.
|Global Marijuana March links.|
|See 2013 Global Marijuana March city list. 2|
Right-click any region for its city list.
GMM, May 19:
- AULA PÚBLICA MARCHA DA MACONHA SÃO PAULO 2012 - "FAZENDO A CABEÇA".
- REUNIÃO Marcha da Maconha SP 2012 - ORÇAMENTO E DEFINIÇÃO DA MANIFESTAÇÃO.
- Marcha da Maconha São Paulo.
- Marcha da Maconha São Paulo - Data a confirmar.
- Reunião da Marcha da Maconha SP 2012.
- Marcha da Maconha SP no Catarse - colabore com a campanha de arrecadação.
- FACEBOOKAÇO E TWITTAÇO MARCHA DA MACONHA SP - #MM2012.
- CONCURSO DE FANTASIAS MARCHA DA MACONHA SP 2012.
- Flyer and long event description.
- Photos: Marcha da Maconha.
- Marcha da Maconha SP 2012 · Catarse.
- Sandrão, do RZO, grava clipe na Marcha da Maconha SP e recebe apoio de famosos : DAR – Desentorpecendo A Razão.
- Photos: Linda, livre e de luta : Veja fotos da histórica Marcha da Maconha São Paulo 2012 : DAR – Desentorpecendo A Razão.
GMM, May 21 in Sao Paulo:
- Military Police Attack Marijuana Protesters In Brazil. Toke of the Town. By Steve Elliott. May 21, 2011 article, with embedded videos.
- Marcha da Maconha – Blog » Press Release 2011. List of cities, times, and dates for Brazil GMM.
Some Google News results for the 2011 Global Marijuana March.
- See the index mirrored here and here. By language:
- mmm2011news2.htm - English. Brazil news is on top.
Sao Paulo: saopaulo(at)marchadamaconha.org http://www.marchadamaconha.org/board .14:00 hs, Parque Ibirapuera.
- - 11 - 34614374 or thiago.maf(at)gmail.com . saopaulo(at)marchadamaconha.org http://www.marchadamaconha.org/board .14:00 hs, Parque Ibirapuera.
- Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnVZgLatz6c
GMM. May 4, 2008:
- Sao Paulo: Leandro Fagundes Coelho "JUCO" fagundes_sp(at)hotmail.com +55 - 11 - 91242502 +55 - 11 - 34614374 or thiago.maf(at)gmail.com . saopaulo(at)marchadamaconha.org http://www.marchadamaconha.org/board .14:00 hs, Parque Ibirapuera.
- Google translation of intro text for video: "Despite the legal prohibition about 200 people gathered, on 04/05/2008, on the marquee Ibirapuera Park to discuss the legalization of marijuana. Congratulations to all the demonstrators present, congratulations to the organizers (collective). Long live freedom of expression."
| More info, tips, links, and |
media of all kinds.
Note: Update any section of this page. Feel free to add sections for years, events, legal initiatives, history, people, organizations, gatherings, and so on. Add links and info of all kinds. Some sources: Category:Cannabis-related events, GMM yearly city lists, GMM links, wikipedia:Category:Cannabis activism, cannabis culture, etc.. Also, search the web (add city to search) for cannabis activism, groups, 420 events, harvest festival events, ballot initiatives, court cases, etc.. Add links for reports, articles, photos, graphics (posters, banners, flyers), videos, press, media coverage, etc.. Upload photos and graphics. You can help: Category:Work in progress. See also: Video help and search links.
Incarceration rates Edit
|See list of incarceration rates by country. Compare the rates. Due to the Drug War the USA has the highest incarceration rate in the world. See cost of U.S. drug war: 1.5 trillion dollars! Let's Break the Taboo! Cannabis is safer! Share link.|
The purple elephant in the room:
Cost of drug warEdit
|Cost of U.S. drug war. Even $1.5 trillion dollars is conservative since many crimes are committed in order to get money for drugs. Correction costs alone average $30,600 per inmate in 2007. See: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate. See: Economics - Drug War Facts. See: 32 Reasons Why We Need To End The War On Drugs - Business Insider. See: The Budgetary Impact of Ending Drug Prohibition.|
Breaking the Taboo Edit
- Share link: taboo
Home Page (BreakingTheTaboo.info). More info . See TabooBreakers on Twitter. See Global Commission on Drug Policy and Facebook page. Quotes from video clips on the trailer: President Richard Nixon: "total war against public enemy number one". President Ronald Wilson Reagan: "When we say no to drugs it will be clear that we mean absolutely none". President George H.W. Bush: "Some think there won't be room for them in jail. We'll make room". Morgan Freeman: "Since 1971 2.5 trillion dollars have been spent on the War on Drugs". Look who's breaking the taboo: Richard Branson, Kate Winslet, Sam Branson, Morgan Freeman, and many more. See also: MarijuanaMajority.com. Share link. Full version in English is no longer available online. Hey Richard Branson, George Soros, Peter Lewis, or whoever, please buy it and put it back online!
Quentin Tarantino Edit
| Quentin Tarantino. Video:|
War on Drugs is Like Slavery.
Cannabis is safer Edit
- See also: Category: Cannabis is safer.
Cigarette Ingredients - Chemicals in Cigarettes. Tri-County Cessation Center. "The list of 599 additives approved by the US Government for use in the manufacture of cigarettes is something every smoker should see. Submitted by the five major American cigarette companies to the Dept. of Health and Human Services in April of 1994, this list of ingredients had long been kept a secret. ... While these ingredients are approved as additives for foods, they were not tested by burning them, and it is the burning of many of these substances which changes their properties, often for the worse. Over 4000 chemical compounds are created by burning a cigarette – 69 of those chemicals are known to cause cancer." See: Wikipedia: Tobacco harm reduction. See Marijuana habit not linked to lung cancer : IMNG Oncology Report: "The difference in risk is likely related to chemical additives in commercial cigarettes that aren’t present in most methods of inhaling marijuana smoke." See: Wikipedia: List of additives in cigarettes.
"In October 2008 the American Association of Public Health Physicians (AAPHP) became the first medical organization in the U.S. to officially endorse tobacco harm reduction as a viable strategy to reduce the death toll related to cigarette smoking."   Joel Nitzkin: "So if we can figure that the nicotine in the e-cigarettes is basically a generic version of the same nicotine that is in prescription products, we have every reason to believe that the hazard posed by e-cigarettes would be much lower than one percent, probably lower than one tenth of one percent of the hazard posed by regular cigarettes."  
Quotes in the image to the left (and in the text below) are from the U.S. government's landmark 1999 Institute of Medicine (IOM) report, Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base. The full text of the report is available for free online at the above link, and is searchable. The table of contents by chapter is on the right side. Quotes below are followed by their references. Emphasis added.
Page 109: "Indeed, epidemiological data indicate that in the general population marijuana use is not associated with increased mortality. 138"
- - 138. Sidney S, Beck JE, Tekawa IS, Quesenberry CP Jr, Friedman GD. 1997a. Marijuana use and mortality. American Journal of Public Health 87:585—590.
Page 107: "When heavy marijuana use accompanies these symptoms [amotivation], the drug is often cited as the cause, but no convincing data demonstrate a causal relationship between marijuana smoking and these behavior characteristics. 23"
- - 23. Chait LD, Pierri J. 1992. Effects of smoked marijuana on human performance: A critical review. In: L Murphy and A Bartke, Editors, Marijuana/Cannabinoids: Neurobiology and Neurophysiology. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. Pp. 387—424.
Page 119: "There is no conclusive evidence that marijuana causes cancer in humans, including cancers usually related to tobacco use."
Compare the IOM report quotes to this quote about tobacco:
"Every week, 52 weeks a year, some 8000 people in this country die from tobacco-related diseases, their lives ended prematurely by an aggressive tobacco industry and the addictive properties of nicotine." - American Journal of Critical Care, March 2002. Nursing, our public deaths, and the tobacco industry. By Ruth E. Malone.