- Share link: www.cannabis.wikia.com/rome
|See 2014, 2015 Global Cannabis March. Crowd photos.|
|The GOP continues their expensive Holy Wars.|
|Where have all the burglars gone? In contrast to the GOP holy wars this is what is lowering crime rates in countries with far lower incarceration rates and few handguns. And Wikipedia: Comparison of United States incarceration rate with other countries.|
- First legal ‘Charlotte’s Web’ cannabis oil to go on sale in the UK. And: Attempted recall of drug-warrior District Attorney of Denver. And: Cops "Smelled Weed", and Raped Woman Publicly in Gas Station Lot .
|Most Americans want a higher minimum wage, legalized recreational marijuana, and no mass incarceration. Republicans block all 3.|
- Teen cannabis use 'NOT linked to depression or lung cancer in later life'. And: Study finds that teen marijuana use is not linked to issues of mental health. And: No Link Between Early Marijuana Use And Health Problems Later In Life. And: Poll: Bernie Sanders surges ahead of Hillary Clinton in New Hampshire, 44-37. And again 2 weeks later.
|Search for marijuana march videos. And more.|
|2014, 2015 Global Marijuana March. Crowd photos. Facebook|
- Italy. Cannabis-related links.
City info Edit
Global Marijuana March Edit
GMM (years signed up). This city participated or signed up one year (or more) for the Global Marijuana March (GMM), or the Million Marijuana March (MMM). 225 cities from 42 nations signed up for May 4, 2013 or thereabouts.175 cities from 33 nations signed up for May 5, 2012 or thereabouts. See also: 4/20 event lists. 848 different cities have signed up from 76 different nations since 1999.
|Global Marijuana March links.|
|2014, 2015 Global Marijuana March. Crowd photos. Facebook|
| Right-click any region for its city list.|
- Facebook: Million Marijuana March (Rome).
- Facebook: Marijuana March Italy 7 May 2011.
Rome: giornatamondiale(at)millionmarijuanamarch.info INFO LINE: 0039 3393393589 Mefisto gica(at)inventati.org . http://www.millionmarijuanamarch.info
GMM. May 9, 2009.
- Photos: http://www.demotiximages.com/news/million-marijuana-march-street-parade-rome
- Media: http://www.abc.net.au/news/photos/2009/05/10/2565617.htm
- Link: http://www.demotix.com/news/million-marijuana-march-street-parade-rome
- Preview: http://www.chaishop.com/event/970327
- Preview: http://www.goatrance.de/goabase/party/details/44736
- Preview: reggae.it article and comments
- Facebook: MILLION MARIJUANA MARCH (N.L.Crew Truck).
2009 Global Marijuana March in Rome. Youtube link. Some great long crowd shots in the above video. Especially at 38 seconds onwards when the camera rotates to the other side of the sound truck and we see more long crowd shots.
- Report: stopthedrugwar.org article:
The single largest event took place in Rome, where organizers estimated the crowd gathered at the Plaza San Giovanni at somewhere between 200,000 and 300,000. In Rome, marchers demanded repeal of Italy's L.49 drug law, which they complained is "the toughest in the West."
"What we want is the cancellation of L.49, the end of arrests and increasing persecution against users and self-growers, the right to relief for patients, the end of 1930-style terrorist campaign on media against all scientific evidence, and the official revaluation of the multiple properties of this ancient plant," said Rome event organizer Alberto Sciolari.
Police and the media downplayed the numbers, Sciolari said, but the event was huge. "The plaza was completely full, and there were still thousands of people trying to get in," he reported. "The trade unions held their May Day concert there last weekend, and the TV talked about 'almost one million people' being there then, and our crowd was only slightly smaller."
Rome has emerged as the monster of the Global Marijuana Marches, drawing about 35,000 in 2007 and doubling that to 70,000 last year, before exploding this year. That's no surprise, said Sciolari. "Every year there is a sharp increase in participants, probably because it is a regular event, and people learned to wait for it much in advance, and tell friends, without much need of promotion. The date is fixed year after year, and then you just have to confirm that still it will take place despite all, and people are happy to show up," he said.
One reason for the huge crowds in Rome could be anti-government sentiment and rejection of the conservative values and policies of Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. "This wasn't specifically anti-Berlusconi, but against the 'culture' he and his government spread and support," Sciolari noted. "The people mocked and laughed at them rather than taking their positions seriously. Although we are seeing repression and security campaigns in Italy that are passing any limit, pot lovers and patients know that, Berlusconi or not, no government will give anything for free."
"It's always large in Rome," said Joep Oomen, coordinator of ENCOD, the European Coalition for Just and Effective Drug Policies. "It is like it is a yearly event for the whole nation, although some people say most go for the party than for anything else."
Rome: giornatamondiale(at)millionmarijuanamarch.info INFO LINE: 0039 3393393589 Mefisto gica(at)inventati.org . 35,000 Marched in '07. Sunday, May 4th.
GMM. Sunday, May 4, 2008:
- Link: http://www.millionmarijuanamarch.info/index2008.html
- Photos: http://charinrome.blogspot.com/2008/05/may-day-and-million-marijuana-march.html
- Photos: MMM 03-05-08 - a set on Flickr.
April 14, 2007 event:
2007 Anti-Prohibition Street Parade in Rome. April 14, 2007. Youtube link. Some great crowd shots interspersed throughout.
GMM. May 6, 2006:
- Preview: http://confinizero.it/?q=treni_pullman_mmm_2006
- Preview: http://italy.indymedia.org/news/2006/04/1057932_comment.php#1060150
- Preview: http://italy.indymedia.org/news/2006/05/1064832.php
- Preview: http://italy.indymedia.org/news/2006/05/1064832_comment.php#1064839
- Photos, article: http://italy.indymedia.org/news/2005/05/788215.php
Cannabis is safer Edit
- Obama correctly said that cannabis is safer than alcohol. See: Cannabis is safer. He also said marijuana should be treated more as a public health issue than a criminal one. And: Obama signals support for legalizing medical marijuana. . See video. Obama alone can not reschedule marijuana.
- USA. 1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults are alcohol-related (disease, overdose, car crashes, falls, violence, etc). 87,798 per year, 2006 to 2010. .
See longer article: Cannabis is safer.
- Imagine if Mitt Romney had been elected President of the USA.
- Obama on marijuana legalization. . "My suspicion is that you’re gonna see other states start looking at this". The Washington Post. Jan. 22, 2015.
- Holder's Legacy: Steering Away From the Drug War and Mass Incarceration. .
- U.S.: Attorney General Eric Holder Ends Incentive For Law Enforcement To Seize Property.
Reagan's war on cannabis Edit
|2015. The 70th anniversary of victory over fascism. The 35th anniversary of Reagan's war on cannabis.|
|Drug war + Trickle-down Reaganomics, = mass incarceration and mass control.|Ronald Reagan, 1980 campaign speech : "Leading medical researchers are coming to the conclusion that marijuana, pot, grass, whatever you want to call it, is probably the most dangerous drug in the United States, and we haven't begun to find out all of the ill effects, but they are permanent ill effects. The loss of memory for example."
- See: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate.
- See also: Number of marijuana prisoners in the USA.
|The majority of people incarcerated in prisons and jails in the USA are in due to drug-related offenses, crimes to get money for drugs, or drug-related parole or probation violations. Wikipedia: Drug-related crime. The number of inmates in the USA has increased almost 5 times over since 1980. The USA has the highest incarceration rate of any nation b c (except for the tiny country of the Seychelles). Compare incarceration rates worldwide. The cost of the U.S. drug war is at least 1.5 trillion dollars. Cannabis is safer! Share link.|
|See article: Drug war cost charts, infographics, and links.|