Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Share link: www.cannabis.wikia.com/rome
Insurers are beginning to cover medical cannabis. And: United Kingdom Could Be Forced to Consider Marijuana Legalization . And: Alec Baldwin Responds to Donald Trump's 'SNL' Criticism. And: Chuck Schumer Is All In On Bernie Sanders’ Democratic Party. And:
Surprise! Voter turnout in 2016 likely higher than 2012. And: Denver, Colorado legalizes cannabis in cafes and other venues. And: Quezon City, Philippines. Nov. 13, 2016 march for medical cannabis . And: Texas activists call for expanding medical use law. And: Will Team Trump turn back cannabis reform? . And: Michael Moore predicted the Trump win. "5 Reasons Why Trump Will Win."
|Search for marijuana march videos. And more.|
|2016, 2015 Global Marijuana March. Crowd photos. Facebook|
- Italy. Cannabis-related links.
City info Edit
Global Marijuana March Edit
GMM (years signed up). This city participated or signed up one year (or more) for the Global Marijuana March (GMM), or the Million Marijuana March (MMM). 225 cities from 42 nations signed up for May 4, 2013 or thereabouts.175 cities from 33 nations signed up for May 5, 2012 or thereabouts. See also: 4/20 event lists. 877 different cities have signed up from 80 different nations since 1999.
|Global Marijuana March links.|
See GMM: basic city lists, detailed city lists, graphics, photos, maps, regions, links, years. Google images: Crowds, flyers: Marcha da Maconha. And: Marche Mondial du Cannabis. And: Global Marijuana March.
|2016, 2015 Global Marijuana March. Crowd photos. Facebook|
| Right-click any region for its city list.|
- Facebook: Million Marijuana March (Rome).
- Facebook: Marijuana March Italy 7 May 2011.
Rome: giornatamondiale(at)millionmarijuanamarch.info INFO LINE: 0039 3393393589 Mefisto gica(at)inventati.org . http://www.millionmarijuanamarch.info
GMM. May 9, 2009.
- Photos: http://www.demotiximages.com/news/million-marijuana-march-street-parade-rome
- Media: http://www.abc.net.au/news/photos/2009/05/10/2565617.htm
- Link: http://www.demotix.com/news/million-marijuana-march-street-parade-rome
- Preview: http://www.chaishop.com/event/970327
- Preview: http://www.goatrance.de/goabase/party/details/44736
- Preview: reggae.it article and comments
- Facebook: MILLION MARIJUANA MARCH (N.L.Crew Truck).
2009 Global Marijuana March in Rome. Youtube link. Some great long crowd shots in the above video. Especially at 38 seconds onwards when the camera rotates to the other side of the sound truck and we see more long crowd shots.
- Report: stopthedrugwar.org article:
The single largest event took place in Rome, where organizers estimated the crowd gathered at the Plaza San Giovanni at somewhere between 200,000 and 300,000. In Rome, marchers demanded repeal of Italy's L.49 drug law, which they complained is "the toughest in the West."
"What we want is the cancellation of L.49, the end of arrests and increasing persecution against users and self-growers, the right to relief for patients, the end of 1930-style terrorist campaign on media against all scientific evidence, and the official revaluation of the multiple properties of this ancient plant," said Rome event organizer Alberto Sciolari.
Police and the media downplayed the numbers, Sciolari said, but the event was huge. "The plaza was completely full, and there were still thousands of people trying to get in," he reported. "The trade unions held their May Day concert there last weekend, and the TV talked about 'almost one million people' being there then, and our crowd was only slightly smaller."
Rome has emerged as the monster of the Global Marijuana Marches, drawing about 35,000 in 2007 and doubling that to 70,000 last year, before exploding this year. That's no surprise, said Sciolari. "Every year there is a sharp increase in participants, probably because it is a regular event, and people learned to wait for it much in advance, and tell friends, without much need of promotion. The date is fixed year after year, and then you just have to confirm that still it will take place despite all, and people are happy to show up," he said.
One reason for the huge crowds in Rome could be anti-government sentiment and rejection of the conservative values and policies of Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. "This wasn't specifically anti-Berlusconi, but against the 'culture' he and his government spread and support," Sciolari noted. "The people mocked and laughed at them rather than taking their positions seriously. Although we are seeing repression and security campaigns in Italy that are passing any limit, pot lovers and patients know that, Berlusconi or not, no government will give anything for free."
"It's always large in Rome," said Joep Oomen, coordinator of ENCOD, the European Coalition for Just and Effective Drug Policies. "It is like it is a yearly event for the whole nation, although some people say most go for the party than for anything else."
Rome: giornatamondiale(at)millionmarijuanamarch.info INFO LINE: 0039 3393393589 Mefisto gica(at)inventati.org . 35,000 Marched in '07. Sunday, May 4th.
GMM. Sunday, May 4, 2008:
- Link: http://www.millionmarijuanamarch.info/index2008.html
- Photos: http://charinrome.blogspot.com/2008/05/may-day-and-million-marijuana-march.html
- Photos: MMM 03-05-08 - a set on Flickr.
April 14, 2007 event:
2007 Anti-Prohibition Street Parade in Rome. April 14, 2007. Youtube link. Some great crowd shots interspersed throughout.
GMM. May 6, 2006:
- Preview: http://confinizero.it/?q=treni_pullman_mmm_2006
- Preview: http://italy.indymedia.org/news/2006/04/1057932_comment.php#1060150
- Preview: http://italy.indymedia.org/news/2006/05/1064832.php
- Preview: http://italy.indymedia.org/news/2006/05/1064832_comment.php#1064839
- Photos, article: http://italy.indymedia.org/news/2005/05/788215.php
Cannabis is safer Edit
- Obama correctly said that cannabis is safer than alcohol. See: Cannabis is safer. He also said marijuana should be treated more as a public health issue than a criminal one. And: Obama signals support for legalizing medical marijuana. . See video.
- USA. 1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults are alcohol-related (disease, overdose, car crashes, falls, violence, etc). 87,798 per year, 2006 to 2010. .
See longer article: Cannabis is safer.
- Imagine if Mitt Romney had been elected President in 2012 instead of Obama.
- Obama on marijuana legalization. . "My suspicion is that you’re gonna see other states start looking at this". The Washington Post. Jan. 22, 2015.
- Obama administration asks Supreme Court to reject lawsuit filed by Republican governments in Oklahoma and Nebraska to stop legal marijuana in Colorado . December 2015.
Obama alone can not reschedule it Edit
- See main article: Obama alone can not reschedule marijuana.
Obama alone can not reschedule marijuana.  . Since HHS (Health and Human Services) and the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) have again declined to reschedule or deschedule cannabis, then only Congress can do so.
- Wikipedia: Removal of cannabis from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act.
- DEA Pulls Back From Calling Marijuana One Of The 'Most Dangerous Drugs'. By Cody Fenwick. August 16, 2016. Patch Media
- The Science behind the DEA's Long War on Marijuana. 19 April 2016. Scientific American. Unless Congress acts, the DEA has final say on rescheduling or descheduling marijuana.
- Medical Marijuana Advocates Rally to Loosen Restrictions. By Alicia Ault. 23 Mar 2016. Medscape. The committee leaders refuse hearings on CARERS bill to reschedule cannabis.
Pot Matters: For Legalization, Set Your Sights on the Senate. 23 Mar 2016. By Jon Gettman. "it will be helpful, and indeed crucial, for advancing legalization for Democrats to take control of the Senate."
- FDA Weighs in on Rescheduling Cannabis. By Ben Adlin. 28 Dec 2015. Leafly.
Drug-war mass incarceration Edit
|See: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate. And: Drug War, mandatory minimum sentencing, handguns. And: US incarceration peaked in 2008. And: Number of marijuana prisoners in the USA. And: List of countries and U.S. states by incarceration rate.
|The majority of people incarcerated in prisons and jails in the USA are in due to drug-related offenses, crimes to get money for drugs, or drug-related parole or probation violations. Wikipedia: Drug-related crime. The number of inmates in the USA has increased almost 5 times over since 1980. The USA has the highest incarceration rate of any nation b c (except for the tiny country of the Seychelles). Compare incarceration rates worldwide. The cost of the U.S. drug war is at least 1.5 trillion dollars. Cannabis is safer! Share link.|
|A Lot Of People Are Dying At This Understaffed Texas Jail. And: How the Money Bail System Perpetuates America’s Mass Incarceration Problem. And: Justice Department blasts ‘unconstitutional’ fixed bail schedules. Many innocent people in jail. And: Many marijuana users in jail without bail money.|
Canadian single-payer healthcare and Edit
Portuguese drug decriminalization Edit
|Business people for Single-payer Healthcare. Fed up with uncontrollable costs of U.S. healthcare.See:|
- Canada has saved trillions of dollars by eliminating the middleman, the health insurance companies.
|Canada's single-payer universal healthcare costs less per person than U.S. healthcare. 184.108.40.206.. For more countries and charts: 6.7.. And the USA has lower average life expectancy than the OECD average (OECD = developed economies). 8.. Click chart to enlarge:|
- Medical Bills Still Take A Big Toll in USA, Even With Insurance. NPR. March 8, 2016.
Green love Edit
- Abortion Rates Dropped Sharply. What Caused It?
- Free birth control under ObamaCare.
- Colorado’s Effort Against Teenage Pregnancies Is a Startling Success. Free birth control.
|Republicans think they can spend an infinite amount of money on health-insurance-company-based healthcare, and have an , to feed their appetite for , and for more inmates for more prisons for|
|As with cannabis legalization Colorado leads the way.. More info. 2.3..|