- Share link: Rio
|See 2014 Global Cannabis March, and 420 city lists.|
- Republican attorney generals of Nebraska and Oklahoma File Federal Suit Against Colorado Over Marijuana Legalization.
- USA. Black-White Wealth Gap at 24-Year High. See Race, ethnicity, and drug war.
- 25,000 March in New York to Protest Police Violence. New York Times. . Photos of huge crowds. Video .
- JFK used medical marijuana while in office. . And Obama said cannabis is safer than alcohol.
- White House Backs Legal Marijuana in DC Video - ABC News. . Loophole found.
- Federal Govt. Won't Stop Native Americans From Growing, Selling Marijuana. .
- Republican-led US House is using a crucial spending bill to block recreational marijuana legalization in DC.
- Republicans need to evolve on state and local marijuana laws.
- Like Mexican cops, US cops have license to kill. Supreme Court Helped Make It Possible To Kill By Chokehold.
- USA: 50+ Cities protesting Plan Mexico, 100,000 murdered in War on Drugs. . Facebook: USTired2. Cities. Video.
- Cop, Angry After Not Finding Drugs, Smashes Man’s Face into His Car, Breaks Teeth. .
- “Killology”. DOJ opposes police outlook of "war", "enemy combatants." Cops, rape, spousal abuse.
- CIA. Wars on demand. Including drug wars. Special discount for wars on brown people.
|More cannabis-related links, city lists, and graphics.|
Social media, Facebook Edit
|Search for marijuana march videos. And more.|
|See 2013, 2014 Global Marijuana March.|
- Brazil. Cannabis-related links.
- Cabeça Feita.
- marchadamaconha.org - forums. Google site search for Rio de Janeiro.
- Movimento Nacional Pela Legalizacao Das Drogas.
- Cultura Cannabica
- Cultura Verde.
- Youtube link. "Brazilian Judge Says Legalize All Drugs Worldwide." Video posted April 02, 2010 - "Retired Brazilian judge Maria Lucia Karam talks about the need to end drug cartel violence by legalizing and regulating all currently illegal drugs. Judge Karam is a member of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP), which any citizen can join for free at CopsSayLegalizeDrugs.com"
City info Edit
- Google Maps: Rio de Janeiro.
- Google images.
- Wikipedia: Rio de Janeiro.
- Wikitravel: Rio de Janeiro.
- WeBeHigh.org: Cities by region and nation. By U.S. state. Or search.
- WeBeHigh.org -
Global Marijuana March Edit
GMM (years signed up). This city participated or signed up one year (or more) for the Global Marijuana March (GMM), or the Million Marijuana March (MMM). 225 cities from 42 nations signed up for May 4, 2013 or thereabouts.175 cities from 33 nations signed up for May 5, 2012 or thereabouts. See also: 4/20 event lists. 845 different cities have signed up from 76 different nations since 1999.
|Global Marijuana March links.|
|See 2013, 2014 Global Marijuana March.|
Right-click any region for its city list.
GMM, May 11:
GMM, May 5:
- Forum: Marcha Da Maconha 2012 - Rio De Janeiro - Growroom.
- Marcha da Maconha reúne 10 mil no Rio de Janeiro - Portal Vermelho.
- Photos and article: Vírus Planetário – Marcha da Maconha de 5 de maio : marco na luta por direitos civis e sociais.
- Photos, article, video: Marcha da maconha Rio de Janeiro 2012.
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. May 7, 2011. "Pictures of the march with the bands 'Plant in the Mind' and 'Vegetable Orchestra'. At the end of the video images of police violence!!! 5000 people in Rio! and have over 19 cities marching for legalization in the country in 2011! The whole world is marching to end marijuana prohibition!" -- (See quote source). Youtube link.
Rio de Janeiro: William riodejaneiro(at)marchadamaconha.org http://www.marchadamaconha.org or http://www.psicotropicus.org Psicotropicus, Rua Presidente Vargas 590, sala 515, 20.071-000, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil. 15:00 hs, Arpoador, Ipanema May 9
GMM May 9, 2009:
- Media: "Cabinet Minister Joins March to Legalize Pot in Brazil." May 10, 2009. Latin American Herald Tribune.
- Blog on court case: http://rogeliocasado.blogspot.com/2009/04/libero-geral.html
- Videos: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=marcha+maconha+rio+de+janeiro+2009
Rio de Janeiro: William contato(at)marchadamaconha.org http://www.marchadamaconha.org or Louz Paulo Guanabara 01155-212-516-1102 Cel: (55-21) 8114-5218 http://www.psicotropicus.org Psicotropicus, Rua Presidente Vargas 590, sala 515, 20.071-000, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil 14:00 hs, Arpoador, Ipanema
- Google searches: . . Videos. Images. Marijuana is 'maconha' in Portuguese (Brazil, Portugal).
- Flickr search: .
- English coverage of Global Marijuana March 2008 repression in Brazil:    . Reports with many videos linked by Brazilian city:  .
- Media preview.
- Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X8c-Dh141o
- Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7izTWR4vlWk
- cannabiscafe.net forum. 2.
Elite Squad Edit
2007 movie about Rio that has sparked a discussion about drugs in Brazil:
- Link: http://legalizacaodasdrogas.sites.uol.com.br
- Link: http://www.psicotropicus.org
- Photos: http://gallery.marihemp.com/riodejaneiro2005mmm
- Photos: http://www.midiaindependente.org/pt/blue//2005/05/316686.shtml
Cost of drug warEdit
- See longer article: Cost of U.S. drug war. See also: Drug war charts and maps. See cannabis arrests. See Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate.
- Yes, We DO Give Life Sentences For Marijuana in the USA. By Cheri Sicard. June 16, 2014. See Life for Pot site. Newt Gingrich wanted executions. Long mandatory minimum sentences are one factor in making the drug war so costly.
- War on drugs a trillion-dollar failure - CNN.com. By Richard Branson, Special to CNN, December 7, 2012.
|Cost of U.S. drug war. Even $1.5 trillion dollars is conservative since many crimes are committed in order to get money for drugs. Correction costs alone averaged $30,600 per inmate in 2007. See: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate. See: Economics - Drug War Facts. See: 32 Reasons Why We Need To End The War On Drugs - Business Insider. See: The Budgetary Impact of Ending Drug Prohibition.|
|The majority of people incarcerated in prisons and jails in the USA are in due to drug-related offenses, crimes to get money for drugs, or drug-related parole or probation violations. Wikipedia: Drug-related crime. The number of inmates in the USA has increased almost 5 times over since 1980. The USA has the highest incarceration rate of any nation (b c). Compare incarceration rates worldwide. See cost of U.S. drug war: 1.5 trillion dollars! Cannabis is safer! Share link.|
|Appendix Table 1. Total justice expenditures,|
fiscal year 1982–2007. USA.
|Nominal dollars (not adjusted for inflation), and real dollars (inflation adjusted to 2007 constant dollars).|
$228 billion in 2007. Police, corrections, courts.
|Justice Expenditures and Employment, FY 1982-2007 - Statistical Tables. NCJ 236218. By Tracey Kyckelhahn, Ph.D., BJS Statistician. December 2011. U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS). See chart.|
- 2010 state prison costs: The Price of Prisons: What Incarceration Costs Taxpayers. By the Vera Institute of Justice. "Total taxpayer cost per inmate. Among the 40 states surveyed, representing more than 1.2 million inmates (of 1.4 million total people incarcerated in all 50 state prison systems), the total per-inmate cost averaged $31,286 and ranged from $14,603 in Kentucky to $60,076 in New York (see Figure 4)."
|"We are the party of lower taxes for the American people". - John Boehner, Republican Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives. December 21, 2011. Share link.|
Cannabis is safer Edit
- Obama correctly said that cannabis is safer than alcohol. See: Cannabis is safer.
- USA. 1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults are alcohol-related (disease, overdose, car crashes, falls, violence, etc). 87,798 per year, 2006 to 2010. .
See longer article: Cannabis is safer.
|Cannabis is safer!|
Quotes in the image to the left (and in the text below) are from the U.S. government's landmark 1999 Institute of Medicine (IOM) report, Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base. The full text of the report is available for free online at the above link, and is searchable. The table of contents by chapter is on the sidebar. The report is also available as a free PDF download. Quotes below are followed by their references. Emphasis added.
Page 109: "Indeed, epidemiological data indicate that in the general population marijuana use is not associated with increased mortality. 138"
Page 107: "When heavy marijuana use accompanies these symptoms [amotivation], the drug is often cited as the cause, but no convincing data demonstrate a causal relationship between marijuana smoking and these behavior characteristics. 23"
Page 119: "There is no conclusive evidence that marijuana causes cancer in humans, including cancers usually related to tobacco use."
- Imagine if Mitt Romney had been elected President.