- Share links: brutality and torture. This article was written by Timeshifter. See also: Wars, drug wars, and brutality on demand. And: Violence in nations with strong drug wars.
Torture, deaths, rape, beatings, searches, disappearances and the Drug War worldwide.
- ‘I can’t breathe! I’m choking on my blood': Disturbing video of Black soldier dying in Texas jail. May 20, 2015 article. "A two-day sentence for driving while intoxicated".
- Wikipedia: Death of Eric Garner. "I can't breathe". Choked to death for selling "loosies" (single cigarettes) from packs without tax stamps. On July 17, 2014.
- Human Rights Defender Kerry Kennedy Detained, Threatened by Mexican Military | the narcosphere. By Bill Conroy. April 13, 2012. Robert F. Kennedy's Daughter Nearly Meets Tragic Fate at Drug-War Checkpoint.
- Solitary in Iran Nearly Broke Me. Then I Went Inside America's Prisons. By Shane Bauer. November/December 2012 Issue of Mother Jones.
Social media, Facebook Edit
- Stop Police Brutality.
- - Police the Police - (A Community Project).
- National Police Misconduct Reporting Project.
- Police State USA: Land of the Checkpoints.
- Prison Reform Movement.
- Police Brutality. The Free Thought Project.
- Police Abuse Sky-Rockets In US, Tied To Drug War Policies.
- Police Brutality.
- Cop Block. See Drug war page too.
- Communities United Against Police Brutality.
- Police Brutality. Breaking News for Black America.
- 10 Shocking Incidents of Police Brutality Caught on Tape. CounterPunch.
- Cop watch -- Policing the Police. See forums too.
- Cop Spotting.
- ToxicCops - Cops Gone Bad.
- The Police Abuse Crisis. Veterans Against Police Abuse.
- Wikipedia: List of cases of police brutality. More links in "see also" section by country.
Searches, stop-and-frisks, harassment Edit
- Young, Black and Frisked by the N.Y.P.D.. By Nicholas K. Peart. December 17, 2011. New York Times.
- Tougher drug laws mean nearly 1/3 arrested by age 23. By David Edwards. December 19, 2011. The Raw Story.
U.S. torture training in Mexico Edit
- "Torture By Mexican Government In Drug War Highlights U.S. Loss of Credibility On Human Rights". See Youtube video.
- "The Washington Post reports today [July 9, 2009] that the Mexican government has employed numerous torture techniques to extract confessions from suspected drug traffickers. The techniques included beatings, suffocation with plastic bags, electric shocks, the insertion of needles under suspects’ finger nails, water torture, and other abuses."
Disappearances in Mexico Edit
Ten thousand dead and counting: Ciudad Juarez, the Mexican city that’s deadlier than Afghanistan. Dec 27, 2011. National Post. Chilling images.
- "The human rights commission of the local state of Chihuahua registered 1,250 complaints of torture, forced disappearances and extrajudicial executions by the army during its two-year deployment in Ciudad Juarez. It counts 400 similar grievances against the federal police who moved in when the soldiers were pulled out. These numbers document only 20% of the violations taking place, it estimates."
- "Human Rights Watch found there were 921 investigations opened in the military justice system for abuses in Chihuahua between December 2006 and May 2011 — more than any other state. Charges were brought in only two cases and no sentences were handed were down."
- "In November, the New York-based Human Rights Watch issued a report documenting more than 200 cases of kidnapping, torture and extrajudicial killings by the military and police."
Graphic: The ever expanding death toll in Mexico’s sprawling drug war. Last updated: Nov 1, 2011. National Post.
Drug-suspect rape and torture by police in Indonesia. See the links to the media articles (and quotes) found in the 2010 and 2009 sections of this Cannabis Wiki article: Jakarta, Indonesia.
Torture by U.S. police Edit
Jury Selection Begins in Illinois Police Torture Trial. By Karen Hawkins, Associated Press Writer. May 23, 2010. ABC News.
4 days in DEA holding cell without water Edit
Daniel Chong, U.S. Man Left In Cell For 4 Days, Entered 'Survival Mode'. By Julie Watson. May 3, 2012. Associated Press article and MSNBC video. This was all over the news. From the article: "People can die from dehydration in as little as three to seven days, said Dr. Wally Ghurabi at UCLA Medical Center in Santa Monica. Ghurabi said Chong was wise to drink his own urine to stay hydrated."
I tell you what I think happened. He was in a holding cell without a toilet and the DEA agents may have heard some muffled screams and figured it was just some suspect complaining, and so why not let him piss on himself while others were handling the paperwork. The info on the video is incredible. Staff walked by. Neighboring cells heard him and some told him to shut up. So staff must have heard him and ignored him. From the article: "A federal law enforcement official familiar with DEA operations said the agency's protocols require that cells be checked each night."
Juvenile inmates in the USA Edit
- AP: 13,000 abuse claims in juvie centers - USATODAY.com. March 2, 2008. By Holbrook Mohr, Associated Press writer.
- "Torture Kids Instead". "The US state is a horrible parent; 12% of its 'detained' kids are sexually abused each year, versus 4% of adult prisoners. 0.3% of US non-prisoners report rape each year, versus a world median of ~0.05%."
- "Video shows deputy's alleged assault on teen girl." Article by KOMO-TV (an ABC affiliate in Seattle, Washington). See video. Deputy Shown Kicking Teen Girl. He hit her in the head while she was standing and while she was on the floor. He slammed her onto a concrete floor. He pulled her up by her hair.
- "King County deputy charged with fourth-degree assault on teen girl". By Mike Barber. Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
- "Former Deputy Paul Schene Says He Beat Teenage Girl Because He Was Afraid of Her". By Caleb Hannan. Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
- Forum: AP Raw Video: Deputy Shown Assaulting Teen Girl - Democratic Underground.
- ACLU Asks U.N. To Intervene On Behalf Of Montana Juvenile Prisoner - "placed in solitary confinement in the Montana State Prison when he was 17 and has been subjected to abuse so traumatizing that he has twice attempted to kill himself by biting through his wrist to puncture a vein. ... has been forbidden phone calls or visits with his family. Fellow inmates were so concerned for his well-being that they reached out to the ACLU of Montana for help on his behalf."
Police beatings and killings of youths and othersEdit
Multiple videos of various brutal beatings of youths and adults by U.S. police:
- Phoenix Police Officer Caught on Tape Body-Slamming Drunk Teen Girl. ABC News. See various videos down the left column. Search for victims Chad Holley (Houston), and Ronald Bell (Chicago) on Youtube. Search for officer Patrick Larrison (Phoenix).
- Maryland police beating student John McKenna until unconscious and bloody. Video is Associated Press report. See April 15, 2010 Daily Mail article: FBI launch investigation as shocking footage of police beating a student provokes outrage across the U.S.. By Paul Thompson.
- 'Help me,' homeless man begs as cops fatally beat him in videotaped incident. By the CNN Wire Staff. May 8, 2012. With video.
Senate votes for indefinite military detention of AmericansEdit
|44 Republicans, 15 Democrats, 1 Independent.|
See also: Newt Gingrich's deadly Drug War, extraordinary rendition, and Brutality and the Drug War. Also, "Night and Fog", the Nazi Germany program of disappearances, and indefinite military detention. Also, follow the money: Private prisons and private power.
- Senate Votes To Let Military Detain Americans Indefinitely, White House Threatens Veto. Nov. 29, 2011. Huffington Post.
- 60 senators betrayed you today, they authorized the indefinite suspension of habeus corpus (updated). WeAreChangeTV.us - Nov. 29, 2011.
- Bill Summary & Status - 112th Congress (2011 - 2012) - S.AMDT.1107. See list of Senators voting for and against. THOMAS (Library of Congress).
Torture and non-consensual human experimentation within the USAEdit
Some people do not know the depth of the long sordid history of torture and non-consensual human experimentation within the USA. See Wikipedia: Unethical human experimentation in the United States. Watch this 2008 video by National Geographic: CIA Secret Experiments.  . It is about Project MKUltra. Click video to play it. It will enlarge. Video is also here and here.
Cannabis is safer Edit
- Obama correctly said that cannabis is safer than alcohol. See: Cannabis is safer. He also said marijuana should be treated more as a public health issue than a criminal one. And: Obama signals support for legalizing medical marijuana. . See video. Obama alone can not reschedule marijuana.  .
- USA. 1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults are alcohol-related (disease, overdose, car crashes, falls, violence, etc). 87,798 per year, 2006 to 2010. .
See longer article: Cannabis is safer.
- Imagine if Mitt Romney had been elected President in 2012 instead of Obama.
- Obama on marijuana legalization. . "My suspicion is that you’re gonna see other states start looking at this". The Washington Post. Jan. 22, 2015.
- Obama administration asks Supreme Court to reject lawsuit filed by Republican governments in Oklahoma and Nebraska to stop legal marijuana in Colorado . December 2015.
- Holder's Legacy: Steering Away From the Drug War and Mass Incarceration. .
- In January 2015 U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder halted most of the federal Equitable Sharing program. For the most part state and local law enforcement could no longer use the program to bypass state laws restricting forfeiture. It was fully suspended in December 2015.
Obama can not reschedule marijuana by himself Edit
- FDA Weighs in on Rescheduling Cannabis. By Ben Adlin. Dec. 28, 2015. Leafly.
Drug-war mass incarceration Edit
- See: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate. And: Drug War, mandatory minimum sentencing, handguns. And: US incarceration peaked in 2008. And: Number of marijuana prisoners in the USA. And: List of countries and U.S. states by incarceration rate.
|The majority of people incarcerated in prisons and jails in the USA are in due to drug-related offenses, crimes to get money for drugs, or drug-related parole or probation violations. Wikipedia: Drug-related crime. The number of inmates in the USA has increased almost 5 times over since 1980. The USA has the highest incarceration rate of any nation b c (except for the tiny country of the Seychelles). Compare incarceration rates worldwide. The cost of the U.S. drug war is at least 1.5 trillion dollars. Cannabis is safer! Share link.|
|See articles: Cannabis prisoners and Drug war cost charts, infographics, and links.|
2016 election and marches Edit
2016 Global Marijuana March and 420 events. Public opinion wins elections. So get out and march!
|Register and vote for cannabis in 2016.|
|Register to vote. Support legislation and ballot initiatives. Vote out most Republicans in 2016.|
USA Today: 11 states least likely to legalize marijuana. Republican states across the nation.
|Marijuana in the South: A State-by-State Guide. Republicans created a THC-free south.|
|Vermont may be the first state to legalize recreational cannabis via the legislature. Vermont has Democrat governor and legislature. 1. 2. 3.|
Canadian single-payer healthcare and Portuguese drug decriminalization Edit
|An economist says Bernie's universal healthcare would save over 10 years. A Chicago Tribune healthcare article: In Europe, Sanders would be center-right. And: Nurses Applaud New Sanders Plan for Healthcare for All. 2.3.|
- Killer Mike and Bernie Sanders Have a Barber-Shop Chat About Free Health Care, and Ending The War on Drugs. Youtube. Facebook: ColoradoCare Yes. On ballot in 2016. ColoradoCareYES.co - ColoradoCare would cover all residents and cost less than the current system. One primary payer. Sanders says Clinton fails to mention that 'Medicare for all' (Single Payer) saves families about $5000 a year in premiums, deductibles, and co-pays.
- See: Wikipedia: Health in Portugal and Wikipedia: Drug policy of Portugal. See: Portugal. Cannabis-related links.
|Cut taxes by ending the drug war, the final "U.S. ground war". Cut Republican big spending: Wars, drug wars, US healthcare costs, and incarceration costs. See: Business people for Single-payer Healthcare. Fed up with uncontrollable costs of U.S. healthcare.|
Canada's new Liberal government repeats promise to legalize marijuana. "Trudeau’s pledge to cut the tax rate for middle-income earners ... paid for by a tax hike on the wealthiest 1%."
|Repeal insurance-based Obamacare. Replace with Canadian-style Single-payer Healthcare. 1. Obamacare regulates health insurance companies. Canada has dumped most of those companies.|
ColoradoCare. "Colorado could make history next November by being the first state in the nation to approve a comprehensive single-payer health insurance system. ... This health insurance coverage has no deductibles and no co-pays." 1.2.