|Poll. US voters support single payer Medicare-for-all 51 - 38 percent. As do doctors. See: Australian single payer. And: It costs less. Bernie Sanders videos: A Republican senator challenged a Canadian doctor on their single-payer health care. 2. Chart: Portugal's drug decriminalization. 2.3.|
- Share links: safer - safer cannabis - safercannabis. This article was written by Timeshifter. See: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate. And: Republican-led drug war. And: Register and vote.
Click the images below to enlarge them, and for info.
|Science Calls Out Jeff Sessions on Medical Marijuana and the "Historic Drug Epidemic". 23. Scientific American. June 14, 2017. And: Medical Marijuana Legalization Associated With Fewer Opioid Hospitalizations. By Steve Elliott, March 9, 2017. And: Big Pharma Shaking in Their Boots as 80% of Cannabis Users Give Up Prescriptions Pills for Pot. Jan. 8, 2016. And: Medical marijuana users are using fewer prescription drugs or outright replacing them with medical pot. A comical meme sums up why. 2. July 7, 2016.|
- Marijuana Legalization in Washington State: One-Year Status Report. July 6, 2015. By Drug Policy Alliance. "New Report Finds Major Fiscal Benefits, Decrease in Violent Crime, No Increase in Youth Marijuana Use or Traffic Fatalities – And Massive Drop in Marijuana Arrests."
- House Republicans say no to allowing federal studies of medical marijuana. . July 9, 2015.
- Video. The Difference Between Getting Drunk and Getting High. . ATTN.
- See also: Marijuana Is Safer.org.
Tobacco: One in nine deaths globally
6.4 million deaths attributed to smoking tobacco in 2015. . Out of 56.6 million deaths worldwide in 2015. . That is one out of nine deaths actually, not one out of ten.
- The number of deaths from smoking has gotten worse instead of better. By Quentin Fottrell. June 3, 2017. MarketWatch. From the article (emphasis added):
|A recent study in the medical journal The Lancet found that, in 2015, 11.5% of global deaths (approximately 6.4 million people) were attributable to smoking worldwide, of which 52.2% took place in four countries: China, India, Russia and the U.S. The study used over 2,818 pieces of research identified through several sources, including the Global Health Data Exchange, World Health Organization, and International Smoking Statistics Database.|
- The Lancet: The war on tobacco: Latest estimates show need for 'renewed and sustained' efforts on control policies. April 5, 2017. EurekAlert! Science News.
- Smoking prevalence and attributable disease burden in 195 countries and territories, 1990–2015: a systematic analysis from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015. April 2017. The Lancet.
Tobacco: One in five deaths in USA
480,000 deaths attributed to tobacco smoking in the USA annually. Out of 2.6 million deaths in the USA in 2015. That is almost one in five deaths in the USA.
Harm reduction taking hold concerning tobacco.
- Smoking numbers hit new low as Britons turn to vaping to help quit cigarettes. By Sarah Boseley. 7 March 2017. The Guardian. And: E-cigarettes should be offered to smokers, say doctors - BBC News. . By Michelle Roberts. 28 April 2016. BBC News.
Tobacco versus cannabis
New Study: Cigarettes Tied To Increased Stroke Risk But Not Marijuana. January 2, 2017. And: Cannabis is less harmful than tobacco and the world is waking up to it. June 27, 2016 article. "A report from Bloomberg.com published in June 2015 stated that 29 percent of U.S. life insurers with official policies in place for cannabis users now class them as non-smokers."
Worth repeating: marijuana decreases risk of lung cancer. By David Downs on June 9, 2015. And it does not cause chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Cannabis does not have the hundreds of synthetic additives found in cigarettes.
Cigarette Ingredients - Chemicals in Cigarettes. Tri-County Cessation Center. "The list of 599 additives approved by the US Government for use in the manufacture of cigarettes is something every smoker should see. Submitted by the five major American cigarette companies to the Dept. of Health and Human Services in April of 1994, this list of ingredients had long been kept a secret. ... While these ingredients are approved as additives for foods, they were not tested by burning them, and it is the burning of many of these substances which changes their properties, often for the worse. Over 4000 chemical compounds are created by burning a cigarette – 69 of those chemicals are known to cause cancer." See: Wikipedia: Tobacco harm reduction. See Marijuana habit not linked to lung cancer : IMNG Oncology Report: "The difference in risk is likely related to chemical additives in commercial cigarettes that aren’t present in most methods of inhaling marijuana smoke." See: Wikipedia: List of additives in cigarettes. See: Health problems associated with tobacco smoking. See also: Pot Smoking Not Linked To Breathing Problems; May Help Lungs. By Steve Elliott on March 6, 2013.
"In October 2008 the American Association of Public Health Physicians (AAPHP) became the first medical organization in the U.S. to officially endorse tobacco harm reduction as a viable strategy to reduce the death toll related to cigarette smoking."   Joel Nitzkin: "So if we can figure that the nicotine in the e-cigarettes is basically a generic version of the same nicotine that is in prescription products, we have every reason to believe that the hazard posed by e-cigarettes would be much lower than one percent, probably lower than one tenth of one percent of the hazard posed by regular cigarettes."   |}
Diet and cannabis
Study: Marijuana Use Linked to Lower BMI. 8 Sept 2016. And: Mediterranean diet rich in 'good' fats 'is the BEST way to lose weight'. By Daily Mail Online, 6 June 2016. The Doobie Diet: Cannabis Keeps You Thin. About a 31 Dec 2014 study. . And: Study: Why Pot Smokers Are Skinnier. By The Atlantic, 15 May 2013. Ending the War on Fat . By Time magazine, 12 June 2014. Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill. Book by Udo Erasmus (dangers of refined, high-temperature, solvent-extracted oils , trans fats, etc). See also: cold-pressed oil. And: Cutting Back On Carbs, Not Fat, May Lead To More Weight Loss. In NPR's All Things Considered, 1 Sept 2014. A Call for a Low-Carb Diet That Embraces Fat. By The New York Times, 1 Sept 2014. Healthy Fats in Mediterranean Diet Won't Boost Weight. By U.S. News & World Report, 6 June 2016. And: Woman Who Ate ‘Carbs All Day Every Day’ Drops 100 Lbs. After Eliminating Bread from Her Diet.
Diet soda is bad too: What happens one hour after drinking a can of Diet coke revealed. By the Daily Mail, 4 August 2015. See infographic . And: Souring on Artificial Sweeteners: Substances May Boost Appetite. By Sara G. Miller, 13 July 2016, LiveScience.
This chart shows the annual death rate from sugary drinks per million adults in selected countries.
Sugary Drinks Kill 24,000 Mexicans Every Year. By Niall McCarthy, Jul 15, 2015.
Store cannabis long term in rubber-sealed jars
As with any herb any rubber-sealed jar will work. Store in a cool location out of the light. The sealed jar maintains the humidity level. It also prevents the essential oils from evaporating away.
- What Happens to Marijuana After Five Years of Storage? By Allie Beckett on July 28th, 2017. Marijuana.com
- How To Store Cannabis So It Lasts Longer. HERB | Cannabis News, Culture And Information.
- Best Way to Store Your Medical Cannabis. Harborside: California Medical Cannabis Dispensary.
1 in 6 US adults binge drinks 4 times a month
- CDC - Fact Sheets-Binge Drinking - Alcohol. From Centers for Disease Control. "One in six US adults binge drinks about four times a month, consuming about eight drinks per binge."
- 'It's a public health crisis': 1 in 8 Americans are now alcoholics amid a huge rise in binge-drinking among women, elderly people and ethnic minorities. By Abigail Miller. 9 August 2017. Daily Mail Online.
Alcohol versus cannabis
It has not been proven that anybody has died solely from the health effects of cannabis use. See: Wikipedia: Cannabis (drug).
|Right side, in clockwise order: Carl Sagan, Michael Phelps, Stephen King, Steve Jobs, Montel Williams.|
1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults
- Since marijuana legalization, highway fatalities in Colorado are at near-historic lows. By Radley Balko, August 5, 2014. The Washington Post. .
- Americans are drinking themselves to death at record rates. By Christopher Ingraham, December 22, 2015. Washington Post. Chart below is from the article.
From the Washington Post article linked just above the chart: "Last year , more than 30,700 Americans died from alcohol-induced causes, including alcohol poisoning and cirrhosis, which is primarily caused by alcohol use. ... This tally of alcohol-induced fatalities excludes deaths from drunk driving, other accidents, and homicides committed under the influence of alcohol. If those numbers were included the annual toll of deaths directly or indirectly caused by alcohol would be closer to 90,000, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."
Teen drivers have 3 times more fatal crashes
Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for U.S. teens. Teen drivers have 3 times more fatal crashes per mile driven. Drinking and driving (2700 yearly), and texting while driving (3000 yearly), are the leading causes. Scary video. . Graduated driver licensing has been shown to greatly reduce teen accidents. . Maybe we should consider graduated drinking licenses for alcohol modeled on customs in France, Portugal, Spain, Greece, Italy, etc. .
Oct. 2014 article: In California full marijuana decriminalization went into effect on Jan. 1, 2011, the report finds that "marijuana decriminalization in California has not resulted in harmful consequences for teenagers, such as increased crime, drug overdose, driving under the influence, or school dropout. In fact, California teenagers showed improvements in all risk areas after reform."
Teens and cannabis
|No, legal weed is not ‘dumbing down’ the nation’s teens. By Christopher Ingraham. 29 May 2016. Washington Post. Twins study finds no evidence that marijuana lowers IQ in teens. By Emily Underwood, 18 January 2016, in Science magazine. And: Reefer madness debunked as major UK study finds marijuana does not reduce IQ in teens. By Eric W. Dolan, 14 January 2016. And: Study finds that teen marijuana use is not linked to issues of mental health. By Myron Castilloon, 5 August 2015. And: Teen cannabis use 'NOT linked to depression or lung cancer in later life'. By Madlen Davies, 4 August 2015, Daily Mail. And: No Link Between Early Marijuana Use And Health Problems Later In Life. By Angelique Johnson, 5 August 2015.|
Legal cannabis does not increase fatal car crashes
- Marijuana legalization doesn't lead to more fatal car crashes, finds Texas doctor. By Fernando Ramirez. Houston Chronicle. June 23, 2017. From the article:
|The findings, published in the American Journal of Public Health, ... The study concluded that "three years after recreational marijuana legalization, changes in motor vehicle crash fatality rates for Washington and Colorado were not statistically different from those in similar states without recreational marijuana legalization."|
Other drugs versus cannabis
USA. Tobacco deaths are now 480,000 a year. . CDC: "In 2012, of the 41,502 drug overdose deaths in the United States, 22,114 (53%) were related to pharmaceuticals. In 2012, 33,175 (79.9%) of the 41,502 drug overdose deaths in the United States were unintentional, 5,465 (13.2%) were of suicidal intent, 80 (0.2%) were homicides, and 2,782 (6.7%) were of undetermined intent." . 16,238 homicides in 2011. . Aspirin number is actually for NSAIDs  (take with milk or antacid ). Peanut allergy deaths is more like 10.  Stat sources (all deaths): .
- 100 Die From Tylenol Overdose Each Year. Marijuana = Zero. By Steve Elliott. February 15, 2012. #1 story on Digg.
Above chart found in these two articles:
- These Are the Drugs That Cause the Most Overdose Deaths. January 1, 2017.
- Fentanyl Rises as Cause of Drug Overdose Deaths. Dec. 20, 2016.
Above chart from Overdose Death Rates. By National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). "National Overdose Deaths—Number of Deaths from All Drugs. The figure above is a bar chart showing the total number of U.S. overdose deaths involving all drugs from 2002 to 2015. The chart is overlayed by a line graph showing the number of deaths of females and males. From 2002 to 2015 there was a 2.2-fold increase in the total number of deaths."
Pot versus pills
How medical marijuana could help curb the opioid crisis. January 13, 2017. CBC Radio. "using marijuana as a replacement for other substances — including alcohol and both illicit and prescription drugs." And: Could pot help solve the U.S. opioid epidemic? By Greg Miller. Nov. 3, 2016. Science Magazine. "they found a significant difference in the number of prescriptions for several conditions, including anxiety and nausea, in states with medical marijuana."
Microdosing and cannabis
|"You repeat this process over the next few days," he says, "increasing the dose by small increments. When you reach a point where you feel a difference after consuming, you've found your minimal effective dose." At this point, he asks patients to continue raising the dose by tiny amounts. At some point, he says, there will be no further benefit from a higher dose. "You've established your therapeutic range, and can take the minimum dose."|
Crack cocaine and cannabis
- Cannabis may help wean people off crack, study finds. By Mike Hager. The Globe and Mail. May 16, 2017.
Opiates and prescription opioid pain relievers
Big Pharma at work:
How Big Tobacco-style marketing propels U.S. opioid crisis — and powers $400 billion pharma industry. June 24, 2017. From the article:
|"Their efforts helped make opioids more American than apple pie: The U.S. — with 4% of the world's population — ingests 80% of its opioids, according to one of the lawsuits."|
- Drug firms poured 780 million painkillers into West Virginia amid rise of overdoses. Dec 17, 2016. Charleston Gazette-Mail.
Addiction Specialists Ponder a Potential Aid: Pot. By Matt Richtel, March 27, 2017, New York Times. And: Best Way To Kick Opiates: Use Cannabis!, Says Addiction Expert. By Steve Elliott, Jan 2, 2017. And: The Surprising Way Aging Pain Patients Can Get Off Opiates. By Phillip Smith, AlterNet, November 3, 2016. And: Pot Vs. Pills: Can Marijuana Help Cure The Opiate Crisis? By Aaron Payne, Ohio Valley ReSource, July 18, 2016.
More current and former Canadian cops are using medical marijuana. Veterans too. By Rachel Browne. July 13, 2016. Vice News. And: 'Pot Over Pills’ Protesters Camp Out For Veterans Day. By Philip Lewis. Nov 12, 2015. Huffington Post. See also: Wikipedia: United States military veteran suicide.
|Is Weed the Secret to Beating Opiate Addiction?1234. "I still use cannabis every day". Marijuana may be helping to overcome painkiller abuse in America.|
More numbers on drug overdose deaths
See Wikipedia: Drug overdose. See the "Causes" section for a list of the various drugs. More than one drug is often involved in an overdose death. These numbers for drug overdoses do not count deaths where alcohol is the main cause.
"During 2014, 47,055 drug overdose deaths occurred in the United States. Since 2000, the age-adjusted drug overdose death rate has more than doubled, from 6.2 per 100,000 persons in 2000 to 14.7 per 100,000 in 2014." - Increases in Drug and Opioid Overdose Deaths — United States, 2000–2014. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. January 1, 2016 article.
Rates of drug overdose deaths per 100,000 by U.S. state. See the source for the numbers for the colors within the map, and better legibility.
Institute of Medicine
Quotes in the image to the left (and in the text below) are from the U.S. government's landmark 1999 Institute of Medicine (IOM) report, Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base. The full text of the report is available for free online at the above link, and is searchable. The table of contents by chapter is on the sidebar. The report is also available as a free PDF download. Quotes below are followed by their references. Emphasis added.
Page 109: "Indeed, epidemiological data indicate that in the general population marijuana use is not associated with increased mortality. 138"
- - 138. Sidney S, Beck JE, Tekawa IS, Quesenberry CP Jr, Friedman GD. 1997a. Marijuana use and mortality. American Journal of Public Health 87:585—590.
Page 107: "When heavy marijuana use accompanies these symptoms [amotivation], the drug is often cited as the cause, but no convincing data demonstrate a causal relationship between marijuana smoking and these behavior characteristics. 23"
- - 23. Chait LD, Pierri J. 1992. Effects of smoked marijuana on human performance: A critical review. In: L Murphy and A Bartke, Editors, Marijuana/Cannabinoids: Neurobiology and Neurophysiology. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. Pp. 387—424.
Page 119: "There is no conclusive evidence that marijuana causes cancer in humans, including cancers usually related to tobacco use."
Clinical trials and cannabis
- Review Identifies 140 Controlled Clinical Trials Related to Cannabis. By Paul Armentano. June 4, 2017. From the article: "A pair of German researchers identified 140 clinical trials involving an estimated 8,000 participants. ... A 2014 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association reported that new drugs typically gain FDA approval on the basis of one or two pivotal clinical trials."
Cannabis and athletic performance
- Tanner Hall and the Athlete’s Case for Cannabis. By Charles Bethea. March 18, 2016. New Yorker.
- Maryland: Baltimore Ravens Tackle Gives $10K To Marijuana Research, Asks Players To Contribute. By Derrick Stanley. March 15, 2016. Hemp News.
The Devastating Effects of Marijuana Legalization
- Why Is Marijuana Banned? The Real Reasons Are Worse Than You Think. By Johann Hari. 11 Feb 2016. Many of the comments are informative too.
SAFER. Marijuana is safer than alcohol
- Category: Cannabis is safer.
- Category: Marijuana is safer than alcohol.
- Category: Safer Alternative For Enjoyable Recreation (SAFER).
Right-click images below for image info and larger sizes.
- Facebook: Marijuana is Safer. Book by Steve Fox, Paul Armentano, and Mason Tvert.
2005. Denver legalizes cannabis
Safer Alternative For Enjoyable Recreation (SAFER)
- Denver, Colorado, USA.
- Facebook: Safer Alternative For Enjoyable Recreation (SAFER)
- Facebook: Causes on Facebook. SAFER
- Safer Alternative for Enjoyable Recreation - Wikipedia.
- Rethinking Marijuana. It’s less harmful than alcohol and time to treat it that way. Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol.
Much safer than tobacco smoking
- Wikipedia: Tobacco packaging warning messages.
- Wikipedia: List of additives in cigarettes.
- Wikipedia: Health effects of tobacco.
- Wikipedia: Tobacco harm reduction.
- Commons: Category:Cigarette packet warning signs.
Presidents' views concerning cannabis
|Ronald Reagan, 1980 campaign speech 1: "Leading medical researchers are coming to the conclusion that marijuana, pot, grass, whatever you want to call it, is probably the most dangerous drug in the United States, and we haven't begun to find out all of the ill effects, but they are permanent ill effects. The loss of memory for example."|
- Obama correctly said that cannabis is safer than alcohol. See: Cannabis is safer. He also said marijuana should be treated more as a public health issue than a criminal one. And: Obama signals support for legalizing medical marijuana. . See video.
- USA. 1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults are alcohol-related (disease, overdose, car crashes, falls, violence, etc). 87,798 per year, 2006 to 2010. .
See longer article: Cannabis is safer.
- Imagine if Mitt Romney had been elected President in 2012 instead of Obama.
- Obama on marijuana legalization. . "My suspicion is that you’re gonna see other states start looking at this". The Washington Post. Jan. 22, 2015.
- Obama administration asks Supreme Court to reject lawsuit filed by Republican governments in Oklahoma and Nebraska to stop legal marijuana in Colorado . December 2015.
Presidents can not reschedule it
- See main article: Presidents alone can not reschedule marijuana.
The president alone can not reschedule marijuana.  . Since HHS (Health and Human Services) and the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) have again declined to reschedule or deschedule cannabis, then only Congress can do so. But Congress removed help for veterans: . And Congressional committee leaders refuse hearings on CARERS bill to reschedule cannabis. See: Medical Marijuana Advocates Rally to Loosen Restrictions. By Alicia Ault. 23 Mar 2016. Medscape.
- Wikipedia: Drug Enforcement Administration. See "Criticism" section.
- Wikipedia: Removal of cannabis from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act.
- DEA Removes Marijuana Misinformation From Website After Months of Pressure. By Steve Elliott. Feb 13, 2017.
- DEA Pulls Back From Calling Marijuana One Of The 'Most Dangerous Drugs'. By Cody Fenwick. August 16, 2016. Patch Media
- The Science behind the DEA's Long War on Marijuana. 19 April 2016. Scientific American. Unless Congress acts, the DEA has final say on rescheduling or descheduling marijuana.
- Pot Matters: For Legalization, Set Your Sights on the Senate. 23 Mar 2016. By Jon Gettman. "it will be helpful, and indeed crucial, for advancing legalization for Democrats to take control of the Senate." Maybe in 2018?
- FDA Weighs in on Rescheduling Cannabis. By Ben Adlin. 28 Dec 2015. Leafly.
- Abortion Rates Dropped Sharply. What Caused It?
- Free birth control under ObamaCare.
- Colorado’s Effort Against Teenage Pregnancies Is a Startling Success. Free birth control.
|Republicans think they can spend an infinite amount of money on health-insurance-company-based healthcare, and have an , to feed their appetite for , and for more inmates for more prisons for|
|Wikipedia: Population milestone babies.|
|As with cannabis legalization Colorado leads the way.. More info. 2.3..|
Single Payer. Half the cost of Trumpcare
20 million uninsured: 20,000+ deaths yearly
Portugal. Few die of overdoses
- Bernie Sanders' projection of 'thousands' of deaths from lost health coverage is well-supported. By Louis Jacobson. June 27, 2017. Politifact. See article sidebar for many sources. .
- See: Canadian single-payer healthcare and Portuguese drug decriminalization.
Portugal has decriminalized all drugs. Like Canada it has universal healthcare. See: Portugal. Cannabis-related links. See: Wikipedia: Drug policy of Portugal and Wikipedia: Health in Portugal. Nearly all of the European Union (EU) has universal healthcare. . See: List of countries with universal health care.
Source for above chart: Are any conservatives in the US for a single payer and a universal health care system, or can they not coexist? Chart is from comment around March 11, 2017 by Dan Munro, "author of Casino Healthcare and Forbes contributor".
Canada passes US in middle-class wealth. Median after-tax middle-class income in Canada is higher. . Why? Canadians pay so much less for far better healthcare. And:
The $0 Alternative To Trumpcare. See chart below. USA versus top ten healthiest nations.
2015 article by Chris Ingraham. Chart below is from the article.
"The country has 3 overdose deaths per million citizens, compared to the EU average of 17.3."
- Overdose stats for the rest of the world.
- Wikipedia charts: Drug-related death statistics. See the upload page.
- Overdose Death Rates. National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). Charts.
- These Are the Drugs That Cause the Most Overdose Deaths. Chart.
- Our nation’s drug overdose problem, in five bleak charts.
- How the opioid epidemic became America’s worst drug crisis ever, in 15 maps and charts.
USA. Republican war on cannabis
The Cannabis War is over and the U.S. Republican Party has lost. They may not know it yet, so keep marching, lobbying, and voting! Please register and vote! See: Reagan's War on Cannabis. And: Drug war, control, and Republican-led income inequality. And: Alternatives to Republican-led mass incarceration.
Vermont's Republican Governor Scott Vetoes Marijuana Legalization bill of Democrat legislature. May 24, 2017. And: New Mexico's Republican governor vetoes a bill that would have allowed medical marijuana for opioid addiction. April 7, 2017. And: New Mexico's Republican governor vetoes the 911 Good Samaritan Overdose Prevention Bill. April 7, 2017. And: Idaho's Republican governor vetoes a broadly-supported asset forfeiture reform bill. April 7, 2017.
|U.S. Republican Party: Greed, Ground Wars, Drug Wars, and Mass Incarceration.|
- Missouri's Republican governor signs state law lowering St. Louis minimum wage. . July 3, 2017. And: Iowa's Republican governor signs law overturning local minimum wage increases. March 30, 2017.