|Some news of interest.|
|See: More news. Archive. News sources. Facebook: Global Marijuana March . Hashtags: . Twitter: . Google+: .
- Share links: safer - safer cannabis - safercannabis. This article was written by Timeshifter. See: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate.
Click the images below to enlarge them, and for info.
- Marijuana Legalization in Washington State: One-Year Status Report. July 6, 2015. By Drug Policy Alliance. "New Report Finds Major Fiscal Benefits, Decrease in Violent Crime, No Increase in Youth Marijuana Use or Traffic Fatalities – And Massive Drop in Marijuana Arrests."
- House Republicans say no to allowing federal studies of medical marijuana. . July 9, 2015.
- See also: Marijuana Is Safer.org.
Harm reduction taking hold concerning tobacco. Similar to the harm reduction of needle exchange.
Diet and cannabis Edit
This chart shows the annual death rate from sugary drinks per million adults in selected countries.
Sugary Drinks Kill 24,000 Mexicans Every Year. By Niall McCarthy, Jul 15, 2015.
Teens and cannabis Edit
|No, legal weed is not ‘dumbing down’ the nation’s teens. By Christopher Ingraham. 29 May 2016. Washington Post. Twins study finds no evidence that marijuana lowers IQ in teens. By Emily Underwood, 18 January 2016, in Science magazine. And: Reefer madness debunked as major UK study finds marijuana does not reduce IQ in teens. By Eric W. Dolan, 14 January 2016. And: Study finds that teen marijuana use is not linked to issues of mental health. By Myron Castilloon, 5 August 2015. And: Teen cannabis use 'NOT linked to depression or lung cancer in later life'. By Madlen Davies, 4 August 2015, Daily Mail. And: No Link Between Early Marijuana Use And Health Problems Later In Life. By Angelique Johnson, 5 August 2015.|
Alcohol and cannabis Edit
|On the right side in clockwise order: Carl Sagan, Michael Phelps, Stephen King, Steve Jobs, Montel Williams.|
- USA. 1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults are alcohol-related (disease, overdose, car crashes, falls, violence, and more). 87,798 per year from 2006 to 2010. .
- Since marijuana legalization, highway fatalities in Colorado are at near-historic lows. By Radley Balko, August 5, 2014. The Washington Post. .
- Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for U.S. teens. Teen drivers have 3 times more fatal crashes per mile driven. Drinking and driving (2700 yearly), and texting while driving (3000 yearly), are the leading causes. Scary video. . Graduated driver licensing has been shown to greatly reduce teen accidents. . Oct. 2014 article: In California full marijuana decriminalization went into effect on Jan. 1, 2011, the report finds that "marijuana decriminalization in California has not resulted in harmful consequences for teenagers, such as increased crime, drug overdose, driving under the influence, or school dropout. In fact, California teenagers showed improvements in all risk areas after reform." Maybe we should consider graduated drinking licenses for alcohol modeled on customs in France, Portugal, Spain, Greece, Italy, etc. .
- Americans are drinking themselves to death at record rates. By Christopher Ingraham, December 22, 2015. Washington Post. Chart below is from the article.
From the article linked just above the chart: "Last year , more than 30,700 Americans died from alcohol-induced causes, including alcohol poisoning and cirrhosis, which is primarily caused by alcohol use. ... This tally of alcohol-induced fatalities excludes deaths from drunk driving, other accidents, and homicides committed under the influence of alcohol. If those numbers were included the annual toll of deaths directly or indirectly caused by alcohol would be closer to 90,000, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."
Other drugs versus cannabis Edit
USA. Tobacco deaths are now 480,000 a year. . CDC: "In 2012, of the 41,502 drug overdose deaths in the United States, 22,114 (53%) were related to pharmaceuticals. In 2012, 33,175 (79.9%) of the 41,502 drug overdose deaths in the United States were unintentional, 5,465 (13.2%) were of suicidal intent, 80 (0.2%) were homicides, and 2,782 (6.7%) were of undetermined intent." . 16,238 homicides in 2011. . Aspirin number is actually for NSAIDs  (take with milk or antacid ). Peanut allergy deaths is more like 10.  Stat sources (all deaths): .
- 100 Die From Tylenol Overdose Each Year. Marijuana = Zero. By Steve Elliott. February 15, 2012. #1 story on Digg.
More on tobacco and cannabis Edit
Worth repeating: marijuana decreases risk of lung cancer. By David Downs on June 9, 2015. And it does not cause chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Cannabis does not have the hundreds of synthetic additives found in cigarettes.
Cigarette Ingredients - Chemicals in Cigarettes. Tri-County Cessation Center. "The list of 599 additives approved by the US Government for use in the manufacture of cigarettes is something every smoker should see. Submitted by the five major American cigarette companies to the Dept. of Health and Human Services in April of 1994, this list of ingredients had long been kept a secret. ... While these ingredients are approved as additives for foods, they were not tested by burning them, and it is the burning of many of these substances which changes their properties, often for the worse. Over 4000 chemical compounds are created by burning a cigarette – 69 of those chemicals are known to cause cancer." See: Wikipedia: Tobacco harm reduction. See Marijuana habit not linked to lung cancer : IMNG Oncology Report: "The difference in risk is likely related to chemical additives in commercial cigarettes that aren’t present in most methods of inhaling marijuana smoke." See: Wikipedia: List of additives in cigarettes. See: Health problems associated with tobacco smoking. See also: Pot Smoking Not Linked To Breathing Problems; May Help Lungs. By Steve Elliott on March 6, 2013.
"In October 2008 the American Association of Public Health Physicians (AAPHP) became the first medical organization in the U.S. to officially endorse tobacco harm reduction as a viable strategy to reduce the death toll related to cigarette smoking."   Joel Nitzkin: "So if we can figure that the nicotine in the e-cigarettes is basically a generic version of the same nicotine that is in prescription products, we have every reason to believe that the hazard posed by e-cigarettes would be much lower than one percent, probably lower than one tenth of one percent of the hazard posed by regular cigarettes."  
Opiates and prescription opioid pain relievers Edit
- Pot Vs. Pills: Can Marijuana Help Cure The Opiate Crisis? By Aaron Payne, Ohio Valley ReSource. July 18, 2016.
- More current and former Canadian cops are using medical marijuana. Veterans too. By Rachel Browne. July 13, 2016. Vice News.
- 'Pot Over Pills’ Protesters Camp Out For Veterans Day. By Philip Lewis. Nov 12, 2015. Huffington Post. See also: Wikipedia: United States military veteran suicide.
|Is Weed the Secret to Beating Opiate Addiction?1234. "I still use cannabis every day". Marijuana may be helping to overcome painkiller abuse in America.|
More numbers on drug overdose deaths Edit
See Wikipedia: Drug overdose. See the "Causes" section for a list of the various drugs. More than one drug is often involved in an overdose death. These numbers for drug overdoses do not count deaths where alcohol is the main cause.
"During 2014, 47,055 drug overdose deaths occurred in the United States. Since 2000, the age-adjusted drug overdose death rate has more than doubled, from 6.2 per 100,000 persons in 2000 to 14.7 per 100,000 in 2014." - Increases in Drug and Opioid Overdose Deaths — United States, 2000–2014. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. January 1, 2016 article.
Rates of drug overdose deaths per 100,000 by U.S. state. See the source for the numbers for the colors within the map, and better legibility.
Institute of Medicine Edit
Quotes in the image to the left (and in the text below) are from the U.S. government's landmark 1999 Institute of Medicine (IOM) report, Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base. The full text of the report is available for free online at the above link, and is searchable. The table of contents by chapter is on the sidebar. The report is also available as a free PDF download. Quotes below are followed by their references. Emphasis added.
Page 109: "Indeed, epidemiological data indicate that in the general population marijuana use is not associated with increased mortality. 138"
- - 138. Sidney S, Beck JE, Tekawa IS, Quesenberry CP Jr, Friedman GD. 1997a. Marijuana use and mortality. American Journal of Public Health 87:585—590.
Page 107: "When heavy marijuana use accompanies these symptoms [amotivation], the drug is often cited as the cause, but no convincing data demonstrate a causal relationship between marijuana smoking and these behavior characteristics. 23"
- - 23. Chait LD, Pierri J. 1992. Effects of smoked marijuana on human performance: A critical review. In: L Murphy and A Bartke, Editors, Marijuana/Cannabinoids: Neurobiology and Neurophysiology. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. Pp. 387—424.
Page 119: "There is no conclusive evidence that marijuana causes cancer in humans, including cancers usually related to tobacco use."
Cannabis as an aid in curing cancer Edit
- Some more mainstream media admits it, cannabis may help in cancer treatment, and not just for nausea and wasting. March 19, 2016 article by Jay Syrmopoulos. From the article:
"The research, cited by CNN, was conducted in numerous preclinical studies on mice and rats, as well as human cells. It has shown 'that cannabinoids may inhibit tumor growth by causing cell death, blocking cell growth, and blocking the development of blood vessels needed by tumors to grow. Laboratory and animal studies have shown that cannabinoids may be able to kill cancer cells while protecting normal cells,' according to the National Cancer Institute at the National Institute of Health. ... Even the National Institute on Drug Abuse, a US federal government research institute whose mission includes 'bringing the power of science to bear on drug abuse and addiction,' has officially admitted that marijuana extracts can kill cancer cells."
Cannabis and athletic performance Edit
- Tanner Hall and the Athlete’s Case for Cannabis. By Charles Bethea. March 18, 2016. New Yorker.
- Maryland: Baltimore Ravens Tackle Gives $10K To Marijuana Research, Asks Players To Contribute. By Derrick Stanley. March 15, 2016. Hemp News.
The Devastating Effects of Marijuana Legalization Edit
Reefer Madness Edit
- Why Is Marijuana Banned? The Real Reasons Are Worse Than You Think. By Johann Hari. 11 Feb 2016. Many of the comments are informative too.
SAFER. Marijuana is safer than alcohol Edit
- Category: Cannabis is safer.
- Category: Marijuana is safer than alcohol.
- Category: Safer Alternative For Enjoyable Recreation (SAFER).
Right-click images below for image info and larger sizes.
- Facebook: Marijuana is Safer. Book by Steve Fox, Paul Armentano, and Mason Tvert.
2005. Denver legalizes cannabis Edit
Safer Alternative For Enjoyable Recreation (SAFER) Edit
- Denver, Colorado, USA.
- Facebook: Safer Alternative For Enjoyable Recreation (SAFER)
- Facebook: Causes on Facebook. SAFER
- Safer Alternative for Enjoyable Recreation - Wikipedia.
See also Edit
- Rethinking Marijuana. It’s less harmful than alcohol and time to treat it that way. Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol.
Obama said cannabis is safer than alcohol Edit
- Obama correctly said that cannabis is safer than alcohol. See: Cannabis is safer. He also said marijuana should be treated more as a public health issue than a criminal one. And: Obama signals support for legalizing medical marijuana. . See video.
- USA. 1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults are alcohol-related (disease, overdose, car crashes, falls, violence, etc). 87,798 per year, 2006 to 2010. .
See longer article: Cannabis is safer.
- Imagine if Mitt Romney had been elected President in 2012 instead of Obama.
- Obama on marijuana legalization. . "My suspicion is that you’re gonna see other states start looking at this". The Washington Post. Jan. 22, 2015.
- Obama administration asks Supreme Court to reject lawsuit filed by Republican governments in Oklahoma and Nebraska to stop legal marijuana in Colorado . December 2015.
Obama alone can not reschedule it Edit
- See main article: Obama alone can not reschedule marijuana.
Obama alone can not reschedule marijuana.  . Since HHS (Health and Human Services) and the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) have again declined to reschedule or deschedule cannabis, then only Congress can do so.
- Wikipedia: Removal of cannabis from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act.
- DEA Pulls Back From Calling Marijuana One Of The 'Most Dangerous Drugs'. By Cody Fenwick. August 16, 2016. Patch Media
- The Science behind the DEA's Long War on Marijuana. 19 April 2016. Scientific American. Unless Congress acts, the DEA has final say on rescheduling or descheduling marijuana.
- Medical Marijuana Advocates Rally to Loosen Restrictions. By Alicia Ault. 23 Mar 2016. Medscape. The committee leaders refuse hearings on CARERS bill to reschedule cannabis.
Pot Matters: For Legalization, Set Your Sights on the Senate. 23 Mar 2016. By Jon Gettman. "it will be helpful, and indeed crucial, for advancing legalization for Democrats to take control of the Senate."
- FDA Weighs in on Rescheduling Cannabis. By Ben Adlin. 28 Dec 2015. Leafly.
Green love Edit
- Abortion Rates Dropped Sharply. What Caused It?
- Free birth control under ObamaCare.
- Colorado’s Effort Against Teenage Pregnancies Is a Startling Success. Free birth control.
|Republicans think they can spend an infinite amount of money on health-insurance-company-based healthcare, and have an , to feed their appetite for , and for more inmates for more prisons for|
|As with cannabis legalization Colorado leads the way.. More info. 2.3..|
|MarijuanaMajority.com - U.S. support for legalization has since increased to 61% in some polls.|