Newt Gingrich was Speaker of the United States House of Representatives from January 4, 1995 to January 3, 1999.
1995 death penalty bill for importing 2 ounces of cannabis Edit
Newt Gingrich (see his Wikipedia article) proposed a bill in 1995 to give the death penalty for importing 2 ounces of cannabis. He introduced it in 1996 as H.R. 4170 (Drug Importer Death Penalty Act of 1996) to the House of Representatives.
- Gingrich on Marijuana - See the discussion of H.R. 4170 and importing "100 usual dosage amounts." Life imprisonment without parole for the first offense, and the death penalty for the second offense.
- Gingrich Urges Death Penalty For Illegal Drug Smugglers. Aug. 27, 1995. Washington Post.
- House Speaker Gingrich Proposes Increased Death Penalties for Drug Dealers. October 1995. National Drug Strategy Network.
- H.R. 4170: Drug Importer Death Penalty Act of 1996. GovTrack.us.
Photo to the top right: Newt Gingrich at West Georgia College (which later became the University of West Georgia). According to his Wikipedia article Gingrich was professor there from 1970 to 1978. He left when he was denied tenure. The image source says: "That's not Austin Powers dressed for a job interview... it is Newt Gingrich as a young professor at the University of Georgia." Lol. A comment says: "Short sleeved shirt (?) and a suit : not a good look....."
Medical marijuana and the drug warEdit
- Increase penalties for illegal drugs. (Nov 1998).
- 3-strike laws are constitutional; enforce courts compliance. (Oct 2005).
- More prisons, more enforcement, effective death penalty. (Sep 1994).
Gingrich Calls Medical Marijuana A 'Joke' Edit
- Newt Gingrich Rips Marijuana Use, Shows Historical Ignorance. Submitted by NORML on Jan 4, 2012. On "Opposing Views".
- Presidential Hopeful Gingrich Calls Medical Marijuana A 'Joke'. Toke of the Town. By Steve Elliott. November 28, 2011.
- Newt Gingrich Hates Medical Marijuana And Would Expand The Failed War On Drugs. November 28, 2011. THE Weed Blog.
- Newt Gingrich: Medical Marijuana Is a Convenience That Must Be Stopped. By Andrew Belonsky. November 28 2011. Cannabis Culture Magazine.
- Newt Gingrich on drug laws, entitlements and campaigning: The Yahoo News interview. By Chris Moody. Nov. 28, 2011.
Newt and 1998 Million Marijuana March Edit
Gary Johnson rips Newt Gingrich about marijuana death penalty idea Edit
Gatewood Galbraith on Newt Gingrich Edit
Gatewood Galbraith. January 23, 1947 – January 4, 2012.
- Marijuana Activist Legend Gatewood Galbraith Dies. By Steve Elliott ~alapoet~. Jan 4, 2012.
- Gatewood Galbraith: The People's Champion (1947-2012). By Michael Bachara, Special to Salem-News.com - Jan. 5, 2012.
|He reserved special ire for Republicans, most recently calling former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell "aliens, not conservatives. They never met a bloated police state they didn't like."
|USA and territories. 2,424,279 inmates in 2008. ...|
|In 2008 with less than 5% of world population the USA had over 2.4 million of 9.8 million world prisoners (b). See latest numbers and World Prison Population List. The majority of inmates in the USA are in due to the drug war. The number of inmates in the USA has increased almost 5 times over since 1980.|
|"Welcome to America, home to 5% of the world's people & 25% of the world's prisoners."|
See also Edit
- Wikipedia: Newt Gingrich
- Wikipedia: Political positions of Newt Gingrich
- Gingrich vs Obama on Marijuana.
- Nixon's War on Drugs Decision
Breaking the TabooEdit
Home Page (BreakingTheTaboo.info). More info . See TabooBreakers on Twitter. See Global Commission on Drug Policy and Facebook page. Quotes from video clips on the trailer: President Richard Nixon: "total war against public enemy number one". President Ronald Wilson Reagan: "When we say no to drugs it will be clear that we mean absolutely none". President George H.W. Bush: "Some think there won't be room for them in jail. We'll make room". Morgan Freeman: "Since 1971 2.5 trillion dollars have been spent on the War on Drugs". Look who's breaking the taboo: Richard Branson, Kate Winslet, Sam Branson, Morgan Freeman, and many more. See also: MarijuanaMajority.com. Share link. Full version in English is no longer available online. Hey Richard Branson, George Soros, or whoever, please buy it and put it back online!
Cost of drug warEdit
|Cost of U.S. drug war. Even $1.5 trillion dollars is conservative since many crimes are committed in order to get money for drugs. Correction costs alone averaged $30,600 per inmate in 2007. See: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate. See: Economics - Drug War Facts. See: 32 Reasons Why We Need To End The War On Drugs - Business Insider. See: The Budgetary Impact of Ending Drug Prohibition.|
Cannabis is safer Edit
See: Cannabis is safer.
- Obama correctly said that cannabis is safer than alcohol. See: Cannabis is safer.
- USA. 1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults are alcohol-related (disease, overdose, car crashes, falls, violence, etc). 87,798 per year, 2006 to 2010. .