You can edit most pages on the Cannabis Wiki!
- Share link: www.cannabis.wikia.com - see also: home page archive.
- Recommended Firefox addon: Flashblock . On-off Flash button for Firefox.
- Cannabis is safer. See Dana Beal. See current events and news. See charts.
- McConnell opposes medical marijuana. Grimes (Democrat) supports discussion. .
- Ballot initiatives can boost turnout 8%. Big 2014 issues are marijuana and minimum wage.
- Minimum wages around the world. By PolitiFact.com.
Majority Of Employers Say Raise The Minimum Wage. So why do Republicans block it?
- Americans Have No Idea How Bad Inequality Is. Drug war is war on poor. See infographic.
- Holder's Legacy: Steering Away From the Drug War and Mass Incarceration. .
Astounding Percentage Disapprove Of GOP. Republican politicians, private prisons, and sheriffs still want cannabis war; while Obama says let states decide. House voted (with only a few Republicans) to let states alone on medical cannabis.
- Marijuana advocates start their 2016 legalization fight in California today. .
- Election 2014! Tommy Chong Explains His Plan to Win! on Dancing with the Stars. . Photo with comments.
Remember Romney Republicans in 2012? Compare to 2014! Happy days are here again!:
- 2014. VoteMedicalMarijuana.org - exposes poor voting record of Republicans. Scoring. Evaluates candidates based on their legislative records.
See: Cannabis news sources. See Facebook: Global Marijuana March. And: Cannabis and 2014 U.S. election, November 4, Tuesday.
- Attorney general questions if marijuana should be in same legal category as heroin. .
- Will Illinois be 17th state to decriminalize? Democrat Rahm Emanuel in favor. .
- New Mexico court OKs marijuana ballot questions. Republicans opposed their inclusion.
- Alaska. Prominent Republicans fundraise for anti-Prop 2 group "Big Marijuana, Big Mistake".
- Marijuana: Italian Army to Grow Cannabis for Medical Purposes. International Business Times.
- Italy to Grow Medical Cannabis; Free Prisoners. . Release 10,000 pot prisoners. .
- Pussy Riot stops in Ann Arbor. . Fighting for prisoners' rights. Boston: .
- Reagan-era Reefer Madness regime: The NFL's Hazy Logic on Marijuana. Cannabis is safer.
- Illinois NORML 'Appalled' That GOP Candidate Would Delay Medical Marijuana Access.
- County opts for pot, tax questions on ballot. Albuquerque, New Mexico. 3-2 vote along party lines; Democrats in the majority.
- World Leaders on the Drug War: Legalize It! "Decriminalization and legal regulation of not just cannabis but as many of the drugs that are currently illegal as possible, with the understanding that some drugs may remain too dangerous to decriminalize". .
A Crucial Election Season for Legalizing Marijuana and Ending the Drug War. State-by-state info.
- U.S. Election, November 4, Tuesday. Absentee and Early Voting. State-by-state info. Turnout matters! State-by-state voter registration deadlines. October 3 in many states! See: Online registration.. And, Voter Registration by mail. CanIvote.org ~ Are you registered, and where is my polling place.
See selected news above.
It's election season in the USA. Lobbyists:
2014 and 2015 Global Marijuana March and 4/20 events
- 420 city lists.
- 2015 Global Marijuana March and 420 map.
- 2014 Global Marijuana March and 420 map.
- 2014 GMM posters, flyers, and banners.
- 2014 GMM crowd photos.
- Featured crowd photos over the years.
58% of Americans want Cannabis Legalized. Gallup Poll
New York City pays $167,731 per year per prisoner
- NYC's yearly cost per inmate ($167,731) almost as expensive as 4-year Ivy League tuition. . By Associated Press. 30 Sept 2013. The cost of NYC's Stop and Frisk program, and astronomical rate of cannabis arrests. See cost of drug war.
John McCain says "maybe we should legalize"
- John McCain On Marijuana: 'Maybe We Should Legalize'. By Paige Lavender. 6 Sept 2013. Huffington Post.
Keeping those expensive "Boots on the ground"
Ending Republican-initiated Wars of Choice
The boots and the profits are no longer in Iraq. They are now in Louisiana. See: The U.S. Drug War. Republicans lead. Sheep follow. Everybody pays. See Louisiana is the world's prison capital, and here. See Eric Holder: 'Broken' Justice System Needs 'Sweeping' Changes, Reforms To Mandatory Minimum.. See: Louisianians Favor Marijuana Legalization, Poll Finds.
Michael Douglas slams drug war and U.S. prisons
- Michael Douglas Talks Cameron Douglas' Incarceration, Criticizes U.S. Prison System. 2013 Sep 23. Huffington Post. He can not see his son who has been in solitary confinement for the past two years.
"Fascists always steal the word 'freedom'."
"Isn't it interesting how fascists always steal the word 'freedom'?"
"Boots on the ground". It is not difficult to understand why much of the world fears U.S. power and its "police actions" at home and abroad. Many question the moral authority of the USA. Some reasons why: The Republican-initiated Iraq War, and civil war that followed when the U.S. disbanded the Iraqi army, and one million people died in the ensuing anarchy. A welcome liberation became a clueless hated occupation when the US did not leave right away when the infamous WMDs were not found. In the USA the Republican-led U.S. Drug War has become a police and prison occupation of U.S. cities, and is greatly responsible for the astronomical incarceration rate in the USA. Republican "freedom" at home and abroad. "Freedom fries" anyone?
|Want more on U.S. moral authority?|
|Almost everything the US has done in the Middle East has been wrong and immoral.
War On Drugs: 27 Reasons Why U.S. Doesn't Have The 'Moral Authority' To Lead It. By Roque Planas, Nov 18, 2012. Huffington Post. Expand slideshow to full size.
Both the Iraq War and the Drug War were/are profitable Wars of Choice against fabricated "Enemies". See: How the Bush Administration Sold the War – and We Bought It by Joe Wilson and Valerie Plame Wilson. See Wikipedia: Iraq and weapons of mass destruction. Listen to Hans Blix and Arianna Huffington, too.
These multi-trillion dollar wars are the latest "glorious crusades" (that good ol' boy, moron Bush actually used the word "crusade" at first to describe the Iraq War). See: The Three Trillion Dollar War - about the Iraq War. See Brown University Costs of War project. See: Cost of U.S. drug war. The better (and much cheaper) way is harm reduction. See: Portugal. Cannabis-related links. And drug users are no one's "enemy".
The U.S. Drug War. Republicans lead. Sheep follow. Everybody pays. Democrats have to be pushed to wind down the drug war, and to support the middle class instead of the privileged. Otherwise, another Ralph Nader candidate will come along to throw a monkey wrench into the whole bloody machine (speech by Mario Savio starts at 22 seconds into the video). Obama is the first Democrat President in awhile who isn't basically middle management for Republicans. Clinton was the last moderate Republican to lead the country. Stockholders got rich while income and wealth inequality continued to increase, and the incarceration rate continued to skyrocket due to the drug war and "truth-in-sentencing" (mandatory minimum sentencing). See: National Rifle Association and mandatory minimum sentencing.
|"Wherever he placed such a computer, dozens of children would gather around and, with no help from adults, figure out how to use it. Those who could not read began to do so through interacting with the computer and with other children around it. The computers gave the children access to the whole world’s knowledge."|
|Wealth Inequality in America.|
Chart video. In the end, it's all about the money, and controlling-jailing the poor. See BBC: US income inequality at record high.
Be independent, not conservative or liberal!
- Is the U.S. Republican-led, Worldwide War on Cannabis over?
- H.R.1523 - Respect State Marijuana Laws Act of 2013. Cosponsors so far are 20 Democrats and 5 Republicans. Why aren't there more Republicans?
- Vermont Marijuana Decriminalization Law Goes Into Effect. July 1, 2013.
Democrat Peter Shumlin
wins big in 2012 Vermont governor race
- Share link: shumlin
- Wikipedia: Peter Shumlin and 2012 Vermont gubernatorial election. Result: Shumlin 58.0%. Brock 37.7%.
- Vermont Update: Pro-Reform Candidate Gov. Shumlin Holds Massive Lead. By Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Coordinator. August 25, 2012.
- When A Governor Calls And Asks For Support To Reform Marijuana Laws…. By Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director. August 3, 2012.
- His website: Peter Shumlin for Vermont Governor | Leadership for a strong Vermont.
- Google site search of his website for "marijuana".
- Shumlin coasts to victory; 70% of Burlington voters call for ending marijuana prohibition! November 7, 2012 article by Marijuana Policy Project.
Feds will allow states some leeway on cannabis laws
- Eric Holder Says DOJ Will Let Washington, Colorado Marijuana Laws Go Into Effect. August 29, 2013. Huffington Post. "At issue will be whether the U.S. Attorneys will obey the directive."
- Ending the careers of rabid anti-medical-cannabis federal prosecutors. Supporter of Oregon medical pot law wins attorney general race. May 16, 2012. By Teresa Carson. Chicago Tribune. From the article:
As Oregon's chief federal prosecutor last year, Holton was in the vanguard of that crackdown, sending letters to owners, operators and landlords of storefront pot outlets warning they faced prosecution and civil enforcement actions for involvement in the sale of cannabis.
A reason why states need some leeway:
2013 Global Marijuana March and 4/20
|Search for marijuana march videos. And more.|
|See 2013, 2014 Global Marijuana March.|
Conservative war, ignorant sheep, and harm reduction
Conservatives worldwide love war, especially the drug war. War is profitable for big businesses that wage wars, incarcerate POWs, house troops, and treat wounds. Many voters, like the lemmings they are, enable the wasteful spending of conservative wars, and then have to wind them down when they can no longer be sustained and paid for. Average taxpayers clean up the mess, and pay for the collateral damage of broken bodies and lives. Conservative bosses, and subservient sheep.
Harm reduction is better than drug war.
|The majority of people incarcerated in prisons and jails in the USA are in due to drug-related offenses, crimes to get money for drugs, or drug-related parole or probation violations. Wikipedia: Drug-related crime. The number of inmates in the USA has increased almost 5 times over since 1980. The USA has the highest incarceration rate of any nation (b c). Compare incarceration rates worldwide. See cost of U.S. drug war: 1.5 trillion dollars! Cannabis is safer! Share link.|
Cory Booker and Quentin Tarantino on the Drug War
| Quentin Tarantino. Video:|
War on Drugs is Like Slavery.
Breaking the Taboo
Home Page (BreakingTheTaboo.info). More info . See TabooBreakers on Twitter. See Global Commission on Drug Policy and Facebook page. Quotes from video clips on the trailer: President Richard Nixon: "total war against public enemy number one". President Ronald Wilson Reagan: "When we say no to drugs it will be clear that we mean absolutely none". President George H.W. Bush: "Some think there won't be room for them in jail. We'll make room". Morgan Freeman: "Since 1971 2.5 trillion dollars have been spent on the War on Drugs". Look who's breaking the taboo: Richard Branson, Kate Winslet, Sam Branson, Morgan Freeman, and many more. See also: MarijuanaMajority.com. Share link. Full version in English is no longer available online. Hey Richard Branson, George Soros, or whoever, please buy it and put it back online!
Propaganda of incarceration nations
Let's not forget Papa Bush
- CNN, Sept. 3, 2014: Life sentence for buying weed? 25th anniversary of Papa Bush's War on Drugs escalation speech on September 5, 1989. The first prime time address of his presidency. Result: LifeForPot.com has info on Drug War POWs.
- 2nd nationwide televised Bush speech on drugs on September 12, 1989: "Some think there won't be room for them in jail. We'll make room. We're almost doubling prison space. Some think there aren't enough prosecutors. We'll hire them, with the largest increase in Federal prosecutors in history."
Shoulda Robbed a Bank
Drug Sentences Driving Federal Prison Population Growth, Government Report Finds. By Phillip Smith, Sept. 13, 2012. StoptheDrugWar.org - A comment:
|What I saw during my 5 years in Federal Prison. by UndertheRadar (not verified), September 20, 2012, 12:33pm. I stayed 5 years in Federal Prison for a marijuana offense. While I was there, I watched armed bank robbers come and go in as little as 17 months. One lad was in for armed Post Office robbery with a sawed off shotgun...his stay, 20 months. When I went to the parole board after 3 years 'behind the wall,' I pointed this out to the panel members. Their response, "You must understand that yours was a very serious offense." I laughed about that for 2 more years (as I still sat in prison), then wrote my book: Shoulda Robbed a Bank. When I was in, the entire Federal Prison population was just over 28,000. Drug offenders made up 53% of that number. I see today that population has risen to over 218,000. Prison is big business. It used to be called 'slavery.' Please read Shoulda Robbed a Bank. I need the money... It's available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Smashwords.|
Obama's passion and mojo
- Obama correctly said that cannabis is safer than alcohol:
- USA. 1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults are alcohol-related (disease, overdose, car crashes, falls, violence, etc). 87,798 per year from 2006 to 2010. .
- See: Cannabis is safer.
The purple elephant in the room
The purple elephant in the room:
Nation of guards, prisoners, and Drug War POWs
|Federal mandatory minimum sentencing charts.|
First mandatory minimums chart below is from an older FAMM report, "Correcting Course: Lessons from the 1970s Repeal of Mandatory Minimum Sentences". FAMM is Families Against Mandatory Minimums. . See Wikipedia: Mandatory minimums. The Fair Sentencing Act of 2010 increased the amounts of crack cocaine required to trigger 5 and 10 year sentences. . See revised charts since then. Share link to this page.
For charts of all federal mandatory minimums (not just for drug offenses), go here.
Later chart with revisions, such as the amount of crack cocaine required for various sentences:
- Crazy Country: 6 Reasons America Spends More on Prisons Than On Higher Education. By Les Leopold on August 27, 2012. AlterNet.
- The Role of the Prison Guards Union in California’s Troubled Prison System. By Tim Kowal on June 5, 2011. See yearly compensation of California's prison guards over time in the chart below on the left.
Election Day victories, November 2012
The American states of Colorado and Washington have voted to legalize cannabis, and Massachusetts becomes the eighteenth state to approve cannabis for medical use. See 2012 vote for cannabis. Prohibition, your days are numbered!
|Why did U.S. Republicans get their asses handed to them in 2012? Well, besides their idiotic rape comments, maybe it is because their support for "freedom" was a sham. For example; at the time of the election very few Republicans had cosponsored H.R. 6335 (see section on cosponsors). That bill would not have done anything more to legalize marijuana or medical marijuana; it would simply have allowed medical marijuana centers operating legally under state law to continue to do so. It would have amended the Controlled Substances Act so as to exempt real property from civil forfeiture due to medical-marijuana-related conduct that was authorized by State law.|| This is Republican "freedom":
Hey Republicans! The drug war is taking us over the fiscal cliff! The drug war is another multi-trillion dollar war that needs to be wound down. Obama wound down the Iraq War, and is winding down the war in Afghanistan. Obamacare will not increase in cost as fast as the previous healthcare chaos. Single-payer universal healthcare, of course, is the most efficient and cost saving, but Democrats would never have been able to get that passed in Obama's first term.
|Cost of U.S. drug war. Even $1.5 trillion dollars is conservative since many crimes are committed in order to get money for drugs. Correction costs alone averaged $30,600 per inmate in 2007. See: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate. See: Economics - Drug War Facts. See: 32 Reasons Why We Need To End The War On Drugs - Business Insider. See: The Budgetary Impact of Ending Drug Prohibition.|
Mexico-USA. Caravan for Peace 2012. Aug 12 to Sept 12
- www.CaravanForPeace.org - share this link on Facebook, etc..
- "caravan for peace" - Google search.
- Javier Sicilia: Caravan to Highlight Failed Drug War and Victims on Both Sides of the Border. August 9, 2012. Huffington Post. Article by Javier Sicilia, Mexican poet, and leader of the Movement for Peace with Justice and Dignity.
Cannabis and pseudo democracy in the USA
|CNN: The War on Drugs|
- Share link: democracy
But the government is actually run by a 40% minority. It is not a 50% plus one, simple-majority democracy. It takes a 60% majority vote in the Senate to get past a filibuster or other delaying tactic. It is a self-imposed Senate rule not found in the Constitution that could be overturned at any time by a simple majority vote in the Senate. See filibuster.
State governors also have veto powers. Occasionally, cannabis reform measures get passed by state legislatures, but are often vetoed by governors. It usually takes a 3/5 or 2/3 majority vote to override a governor's veto.
It takes a two-thirds majority in Congress to override a Presidential veto. The U.S. is unique in this among Western democracies. And what's up with the lack of runoff voting for Presidential elections? It is common in other countries. Stopping the presidential dictatorship, via the Presidential veto, would require changing the constitution to eliminate the Presidential veto that requires a two-thirds majority in Congress to override it.
The USA is actually a 1% kleptocracy run mostly by special interests and corporations (who are considered persons according to the law). As concerns cannabis: Big Pharma, police unions, private prisons, prison guard unions, alcohol and beer companies. Also known as the Prison-Industrial Complex and the alcohol-drug monopoly.
- The Top Five Special Interest Groups Lobbying To Keep Marijuana Illegal | Republic Report. April 20, 2012 article.
The power of these special interests has increased greatly since the 1980 election of Just-Say-No Ronald (6) Wilson (6) Reagan (6). By the way, are you still waiting for that Reagan-Revolution wealth to "trickle-down" from the 1%?
Concerning Obama, or any President. Federal prosecutors (U.S attorneys) are appointed by the President and serve 4 year terms. They are responsible for the crackdown on medical cannabis dispensaries in many states. They are independent and the only way to stop them is for the President to fire them. If a President fired a federal prosecutor over medical marijuana, his political opponents could say that he is subverting federal law. A President can suggest that they not prioritize federal resources going after medical cannabis users, and dispensaries following state law. The President can not change federal law though, and so federal prosecutors can do whatever they want.
Never-ending war, PTSD, veterans, medical marijuana
See main article: Posttraumatic stress and cannabis.
PTSD proposed for Oregon medical marijuana list. August 26, 2012. San Francisco Chronicle.
- 45% Of Iraq/Afghanistan War Veterans Seeking Disability. May 28, 2012. Associated Press (AP). By Marilynn Marchione, AP Chief Medical Writer. From the article: "The average wait to get a new one processed grows longer each month and is now about eight months. ... Harvard economist Linda Bilmes. She estimates the health care and disability costs of the recent wars at $600 billion to $900 billion."
- The Three Trillion Dollar War - Wikipedia article about the book.
Weed Pass is Dead, Cannabis Cup is Alive!
- Later note: The conservatives are still trying to implement the Weed Pass.
The new government of the Netherlands has snuffed out plans to ban foreigners from visiting Dutch coffee shops where they can purchase quasi-legal cannabis. That means the High Times 2012 Cannabis Cup is on! Read complete article here
Rhode Island becomes 15th state to decriminalize
Rhode Island. Marijuana Policy Project. Rhode Island’s New Law to Reduce Penalties for Marijuana Possession:
On June 13, 2012, Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee [Independent] signed S 2253/H 7092 into law, making Rhode Island the 15th state to remove the possibility of jail for first offense possession of a modest amount of marijuana. The title of the bills was “Reform the penalty for possession of up to an ounce of marijuana.”
David Duchovny on cannabis legalization
Cannabis is more interesting than alcohol
Click the images to enlarge them, and for more info.
Listen: PsySrek Mix - Million Marijuana March 2010 ;-') by Legalize Cannabis. "This mix have been played at the 'Million Marijuana March', world manifestation to legalize cannabis, in Paris (place de la Bastille - 08/05/2010)." (May 8, 2010). See forum discussion and download link there. Turn Flashblock off. It uses Flash. More info and download sources:  
- Paris, May 12, 2012 Global Marijuana March photos: Marche Mondial Du Cannabis (12 Mai 2012). Video: Marche mondiale du cannabis: le changement, c'est maintenant? - Les Inrocks.
- Egypt. Cannabis-related links.
- Egypt’s Uprising has Link to Marijuana Prohibition | The NORML Stash Blog. By Cannabis Karri on February 8, 2011. See also:
- Wikipedia: Death of Khaled Mohamed Saeed.
2012 Global Marijuana March in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Pat Robertson advocates making marijuana legal
Wikipedia: Pat Robertson. "Pot" Robertson. :)
- Pat Robertson Says Marijuana Should Be Legal. By Steve Elliott. March 8, 2012. Toke of the Town.
- U.S. News - Pat Robertson is for legalizing marijuana: What would Jesus do? March 9, 2012. By James Eng, msnbc.com
- Zakaria: Incarceration nation – Global Public Square - CNN.com Blogs. By Fareed Zakaria, CNN. March 30, 2012.
Yeah, right on, Pat! Those conservative hippies were right after all. And that liberal, big-prison-spender, Nancy Reagan, with her "Just Say No" lock-em-up activism was wrong. And don't forget that liberal, big-prison-spender, Newt Gingrich and his drug war.
Baked? Music videos, internet radio, and more
Embedded music videos
|Music and videos. An admin's picks.|
|This has been moved here.|
|Some editors may prefer source-mode editing (wikitext editing, or Wikipedia-style source editing). Some browsers work better with it, too. To get to the source editor click any edit button. Then click the source tab at the top right of the editing window. You can disable the visual editor altogether in Special:Preferences (on the editing tab) if you are logged in.|