You can edit most pages on the Cannabis Wiki!
- Share link: www.cannabis.wikia.com - see also: home page archive.
- Recommended Firefox addon: Flashblock . On-off Flash button for Firefox.
- Cannabis is safer. See Dana Beal. See current events and news.
- Uruguay to become first country with legal Cannabis
- Uruguay First Country to Legalize Marijuana Industry.
|Some selected international news from the past few months.|
For more news see: current events and news.
Oliver Stone: JFK conspiracy deniers are in denial. You decide. The U.S. police state has expanded greatly in the last 50 years since JFK's killing.
- Senate gallery erupts in laughter at police chief citing hoax story about cannabis deaths.
- Dems rally around marijuana in 2014 push. A Winning Issue For 2014 elections.
2014 Global Marijuana March and 4/20 events
- 2014 Global Marijuana March map.
- Basic 2014 GMM city list. See column for 4/20 events.
- Featured crowd photos for Global Marijuana March.
58% of Americans want Cannabis Legalized. Gallup Poll
New York City pays $167,731 per year per prisoner
- NYC cost per inmate almost equals Ivy League education; expenses tied to Rikers boost cost. By Associated Press. 30 Sept 2013. Washington Post. The cost of NYC's Stop and Frisk program, and astronomical rate of cannabis arrests. See cost of drug war.
John McCain says "maybe we should legalize"
- John McCain On Marijuana: 'Maybe We Should Legalize'. By Paige Lavender. 6 Sept 2013. Huffington Post.
Keeping those expensive "Boots on the ground"
Ending Republican-initiated Wars of Choice
The boots and the profits are no longer in Iraq. They are now in Louisiana. See: The U.S. Drug War. Republicans lead. Democrats follow. Everybody pays. See Louisiana is the world's prison capital, and here. See Eric Holder: 'Broken' Justice System Needs 'Sweeping' Changes, Reforms To Mandatory Minimum.. See: Louisianians Favor Marijuana Legalization, Poll Finds.
Michael Douglas slams drug war and U.S. prisons
- Michael Douglas Talks Cameron Douglas' Incarceration, Criticizes U.S. Prison System. 2013 Sep 23. Huffington Post. He can not see his son who has been in solitary confinement for the past two years.
"Fascists always steal the word 'freedom'."
"Isn't it interesting how fascists always steal the word 'freedom'?"
"Boots on the ground". It is not difficult to understand why much of the world fears U.S. power and its "police actions" at home and abroad. Many question the moral authority of the USA. Some reasons why: The Republican-initiated Iraq War, and civil war that followed when the U.S. disbanded the Iraqi army, and one million people died in the ensuing anarchy. A welcome liberation became a clueless hated occupation when the US did not leave right away when the infamous WMDs were not found. In the USA the Republican-led U.S. Drug War has become a police and prison occupation of U.S. cities, and is greatly responsible for the astronomical incarceration rate in the USA. Republican "freedom" at home and abroad. "Freedom fries" anyone?
|Want more on U.S. moral authority?|
|Almost everything the US has done in the Middle East has been wrong and immoral.
War On Drugs: 27 Reasons Why U.S. Doesn't Have The 'Moral Authority' To Lead It. By Roque Planas, Nov 18, 2012. Huffington Post. Expand slideshow to full size.
Both the Iraq War and the Drug War were/are profitable Wars of Choice against fabricated "Enemies". See: How the Bush Administration Sold the War – and We Bought It by Joe Wilson and Valerie Plame Wilson. See Wikipedia: Iraq and weapons of mass destruction. Listen to Hans Blix and Arianna Huffington, too.
These multi-trillion dollar wars are the latest "glorious crusades" (that good ol' boy, moron Bush actually used the word "crusade" at first to describe the Iraq War). See: The Three Trillion Dollar War - about the Iraq War. See Brown University Costs of War project. See: Cost of U.S. drug war. The better (and much cheaper) way is harm reduction. See: Portugal. Cannabis-related links. And drug users are no one's "enemy".
The U.S. Drug War. Republicans lead. Democrats follow. Everybody pays. Democrats have to be pushed to wind down the drug war, and to support the middle class instead of the privileged. Otherwise, another Ralph Nader candidate will come along to throw a monkey wrench into the whole bloody machine (speech by Mario Savio starts at 22 seconds into the video). Obama is the first Democrat President in awhile who isn't basically middle management for Republicans. Clinton was the last moderate Republican to lead the country. Stockholders got rich while income and wealth inequality continued to increase, and the incarceration rate continued to skyrocket due to the drug war and "truth-in-sentencing" (mandatory minimum sentencing). See: National Rifle Association and mandatory minimum sentencing.
|"Wherever he placed such a computer, dozens of children would gather around and, with no help from adults, figure out how to use it. Those who could not read began to do so through interacting with the computer and with other children around it. The computers gave the children access to the whole world’s knowledge."|
|Wealth Inequality in America.|
Chart video. In the end, it's all about the money, and controlling-jailing the poor. See BBC: US income inequality at record high.
Be independent, not conservative or liberal!
- Is the U.S. Republican-led, Worldwide War on Cannabis over?
- H.R.1523 - Respect State Marijuana Laws Act of 2013. Cosponsors so far are 15 Democrats and 5 Republicans. Why aren't there more Republicans?
- Vermont Marijuana Decriminalization Law Goes Into Effect. July 1, 2013.
Democrat Peter Shumlin
wins big in 2012 Vermont governor race
- Share link: shumlin
- Wikipedia: Peter Shumlin and 2012 Vermont gubernatorial election. Result: Shumlin 58.0%. Brock 37.7%.
- Vermont Update: Pro-Reform Candidate Gov. Shumlin Holds Massive Lead. By Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Coordinator. August 25, 2012.
- When A Governor Calls And Asks For Support To Reform Marijuana Laws…. By Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director. August 3, 2012.
- His website: Peter Shumlin for Vermont Governor | Leadership for a strong Vermont.
- Google site search of his website for "marijuana".
- Shumlin coasts to victory; 70% of Burlington voters call for ending marijuana prohibition! November 7, 2012 article by Marijuana Policy Project.
Feds will allow states some leeway on cannabis laws
- Eric Holder Says DOJ Will Let Washington, Colorado Marijuana Laws Go Into Effect. August 29, 2013. Huffington Post. "At issue will be whether the U.S. Attorneys will obey the directive."
- Ending the careers of rabid anti-medical-cannabis federal prosecutors. Supporter of Oregon medical pot law wins attorney general race. May 16, 2012. By Teresa Carson. Chicago Tribune. From the article:
As Oregon's chief federal prosecutor last year, Holton was in the vanguard of that crackdown, sending letters to owners, operators and landlords of storefront pot outlets warning they faced prosecution and civil enforcement actions for involvement in the sale of cannabis.
A reason why states need some leeway:
2013 Global Marijuana March and 4/20
|Search for marijuana march videos. And more.|
|See 2013, 2014 Global Marijuana March.|
Conservative war, liberal lemmings, and harm reduction
- Be independent, not conservative or liberal!
Conservatives worldwide love war, especially the drug war. War is profitable for big businesses that wage wars, incarcerate POWs, house troops, and treat wounds. Most liberals, like the lemmings they are, enable the wasteful spending of conservative wars, and then have to wind them down when they can no longer be sustained and paid for. Liberals clean up the mess, and pay for the collateral damage of broken bodies and lives. Conservative bosses and subservient, ass-kissing, middle management liberals.
Consider Obamacare versus single-payer universal healthcare. Obamacare, though better and more efficient than the previous U.S. healthcare system, is still hugely profitable to the useless big business called health insurance. Obamacare is not nearly as effective and cost-saving as single-payer universal healthcare. "Single-payer", if paid for completely by the government, wastes no money on the fraud called health insurance. This matters because harm reduction works better when integrated with a truly universal healthcare system that covers everybody, even the poorest of drug users.
|The majority of people incarcerated in prisons and jails in the USA are in due to drug-related offenses, crimes to get money for drugs, or drug-related parole or probation violations. Wikipedia: Drug-related crime. The number of inmates in the USA has increased almost 5 times over since 1980. The USA has the highest incarceration rate of any nation. Compare incarceration rates worldwide. See cost of U.S. drug war: 1.5 trillion dollars! Cannabis is safer! Share link.|
Cory Booker and Quentin Tarantino on the Drug War
| Quentin Tarantino. Video:|
War on Drugs is Like Slavery.
Breaking the Taboo
Home Page (BreakingTheTaboo.info). More info . See TabooBreakers on Twitter. See Global Commission on Drug Policy and Facebook page. Quotes from video clips on the trailer: President Richard Nixon: "total war against public enemy number one". President Ronald Wilson Reagan: "When we say no to drugs it will be clear that we mean absolutely none". President George H.W. Bush: "Some think there won't be room for them in jail. We'll make room". Morgan Freeman: "Since 1971 2.5 trillion dollars have been spent on the War on Drugs". Look who's breaking the taboo: Richard Branson, Kate Winslet, Sam Branson, Morgan Freeman, and many more. See also: MarijuanaMajority.com. Share link. Full version in English is no longer available online. Hey Richard Branson, George Soros, Peter Lewis, or whoever, please buy it and put it back online!
Propaganda of incarceration nations
Shoulda Robbed a Bank
Drug Sentences Driving Federal Prison Population Growth, Government Report Finds. By Phillip Smith, Sept. 13, 2012. StoptheDrugWar.org - A comment:
|What I saw during my 5 years in Federal Prison. by UndertheRadar (not verified), September 20, 2012, 12:33pm. I stayed 5 years in Federal Prison for a marijuana offense. While I was there, I watched armed bank robbers come and go in as little as 17 months. One lad was in for armed Post Office robbery with a sawed off shotgun...his stay, 20 months. When I went to the parole board after 3 years 'behind the wall,' I pointed this out to the panel members. Their response, "You must understand that yours was a very serious offense." I laughed about that for 2 more years (as I still sat in prison), then wrote my book: Shoulda Robbed a Bank. When I was in, the entire Federal Prison population was just over 28,000. Drug offenders made up 53% of that number. I see today that population has risen to over 218,000. Prison is big business. It used to be called 'slavery.' Please read Shoulda Robbed a Bank. I need the money... It's available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Smashwords.|
Has Obama lost some of his passion and mojo?
The purple elephant in the room
The purple elephant in the room:
Nation of guards, prisoners, and Drug War POWs
|Federal mandatory minimum sentencing charts.|
Mandatory minimums chart is from FAMM's report, "Correcting Course: Lessons from the 1970s Repeal of Mandatory Minimum Sentences". See the PDF link for it at FAMM - History of Mandatory Minimums. FAMM is Families Against Mandatory Minimums. Wikipedia: Mandatory minimums. The Fair Sentencing Act of 2010 increased the amounts of crack cocaine required to trigger 5 and 10 year sentences. . See the revised chart at FAMM - Understanding Federal Sentencing Laws. Share link.
For charts of all federal mandatory minimums (not just for drug offenses) see Federal Mandatory Minimum Charts.
- Crazy Country: 6 Reasons America Spends More on Prisons Than On Higher Education. By Les Leopold on August 27, 2012. AlterNet.
- The Role of the Prison Guards Union in California’s Troubled Prison System. By Tim Kowal on June 5, 2011. See yearly compensation of California's prison guards over time in the chart below on the left.
Election Day victories, November 2012
Return to top.
The American states of Colorado and Washington have voted to legalize cannabis, and Massachusetts becomes the eighteenth state to approve cannabis for medical use. See 2012 vote for cannabis. Prohibition, your days are numbered!
|Why did U.S. Republicans get their asses handed to them in 2012? Well, besides their idiotic rape comments, maybe it is because their support for "freedom" was a sham. For example; at the time of the election very few Republicans had cosponsored H.R. 6335 (see section on cosponsors). That bill would not have done anything more to legalize marijuana or medical marijuana; it would simply have allowed medical marijuana centers operating legally under state law to continue to do so. It would have amended the Controlled Substances Act so as to exempt real property from civil forfeiture due to medical-marijuana-related conduct that was authorized by State law.|| This is Republican "freedom":
Hey Republicans! The drug war is taking us over the fiscal cliff! The drug war is another multi-trillion dollar war that needs to be wound down. Obama wound down the Iraq War, and is winding down the war in Afghanistan. Obamacare will not increase in cost as fast as the previous healthcare chaos. Single-payer universal healthcare, of course, is the most efficient and cost saving, but Democrats would never have been able to get that passed in Obama's first term.
|Cost of U.S. drug war. Even $1.5 trillion dollars is conservative since many crimes are committed in order to get money for drugs. Correction costs alone average $30,600 per inmate in 2007. See: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate. See: Economics - Drug War Facts. See: 32 Reasons Why We Need To End The War On Drugs - Business Insider. See: The Budgetary Impact of Ending Drug Prohibition.|
Mexico-USA. Caravan for Peace 2012. Aug 12 to Sept 12
- www.CaravanForPeace.org - share this link on Facebook, etc..
- "caravan for peace" - Google search.
- Javier Sicilia: Caravan to Highlight Failed Drug War and Victims on Both Sides of the Border. August 9, 2012. Huffington Post. Article by Javier Sicilia, Mexican poet, and leader of the Movement for Peace with Justice and Dignity.
Cannabis and pseudo democracy in the USA
|CNN: The War on Drugs|
- Share link: democracy
But the government is actually run by a 40% minority. It is not a 50% plus one, simple-majority democracy. It takes a 60% majority vote in the Senate to get past a filibuster or other delaying tactic. It is a self-imposed Senate rule not found in the Constitution that could be overturned at any time by a simple majority vote in the Senate. See filibuster.
State governors also have veto powers. Occasionally, cannabis reform measures get passed by state legislatures, but are often vetoed by governors. It usually takes a 3/5 or 2/3 majority vote to override a governor's veto.
It takes a two-thirds majority in Congress to override a Presidential veto. The U.S. is unique in this among Western democracies. And what's up with the lack of runoff voting for Presidential elections? It is common in other countries. Stopping the presidential dictatorship, via the Presidential veto, would require changing the constitution to eliminate the Presidential veto that requires a two-thirds majority in Congress to override it.
The USA is actually a 1% kleptocracy run mostly by special interests and corporations (who are considered persons according to the law). As concerns cannabis: Big Pharma, police unions, private prisons, prison guard unions, alcohol and beer companies. Also known as the Prison-Industrial Complex and the alcohol-drug monopoly.
- The Top Five Special Interest Groups Lobbying To Keep Marijuana Illegal | Republic Report. April 20, 2012 article.
The power of these special interests has increased greatly since the 1980 election of Just-Say-No Ronald (6) Wilson (6) Reagan (6). By the way, are you still waiting for that Reagan-Revolution wealth to "trickle-down" from the 1%?
Concerning Obama, or any President. Federal prosecutors (U.S attorneys) are appointed by the President and serve 4 year terms. They are responsible for the crackdown on medical cannabis dispensaries in many states. They are independent and the only way to stop them is for the President to fire them. If a President fired a federal prosecutor over medical marijuana, his political opponents could say that he is subverting federal law. A President can suggest that they not prioritize federal resources going after medical cannabis users, and dispensaries following state law. The President can not change federal law though, and so federal prosecutors can do whatever they want.
Never-ending war, PTSD, veterans, medical marijuana
PTSD proposed for Oregon medical marijuana list. August 26, 2012. San Francisco Chronicle.
- 45% Of Iraq/Afghanistan War Veterans Seeking Disability. May 28, 2012. Associated Press (AP). By Marilynn Marchione, AP Chief Medical Writer. From the article: "The average wait to get a new one processed grows longer each month and is now about eight months. ... Harvard economist Linda Bilmes. She estimates the health care and disability costs of the recent wars at $600 billion to $900 billion."
- The Three Trillion Dollar War - Wikipedia article about the book.
Weed Pass is Dead, Cannabis Cup is Alive!
- Later note: The conservatives are still trying to implement the Weed Pass.
The new government of the Netherlands has snuffed out plans to ban foreigners from visiting Dutch coffee shops where they can purchase quasi-legal cannabis. That means the High Times 2012 Cannabis Cup is on! Read complete article here
Rhode Island becomes 15th state to decriminalize
Rhode Island. Marijuana Policy Project. Rhode Island’s New Law to Reduce Penalties for Marijuana Possession:
On June 13, 2012, Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee [Independent] signed S 2253/H 7092 into law, making Rhode Island the 15th state to remove the possibility of jail for first offense possession of a modest amount of marijuana. The title of the bills was “Reform the penalty for possession of up to an ounce of marijuana.”
David Duchovny on cannabis legalization
Cannabis is more interesting than alcohol
Click the images to enlarge them, and for more info.
Listen: PsySrek Mix - Million Marijuana March 2010 ;-') by Legalize Cannabis. "This mix have been played at the 'Million Marijuana March', world manifestation to legalize cannabis, in Paris (place de la Bastille - 08/05/2010)." (May 8, 2010). See forum discussion and download link there. Turn Flashblock off. It uses Flash. More info and download sources:  
- Paris, May 12, 2012 Global Marijuana March photos: Marche Mondial Du Cannabis (12 Mai 2012). Video: Marche mondiale du cannabis: le changement, c'est maintenant? - Les Inrocks.
- Egypt. Cannabis-related links.
- Egypt’s Uprising has Link to Marijuana Prohibition | The NORML Stash Blog. By Cannabis Karri on February 8, 2011. See also:
- Wikipedia: Death of Khaled Mohamed Saeed.
2012 Global Marijuana March in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Pat Robertson advocates making marijuana legal
Wikipedia: Pat Robertson. "Pot" Robertson. :)
- Pat Robertson Says Marijuana Should Be Legal. By Steve Elliott. March 8, 2012. Toke of the Town.
- U.S. News - Pat Robertson is for legalizing marijuana: What would Jesus do? March 9, 2012. By James Eng, msnbc.com
- Zakaria: Incarceration nation – Global Public Square - CNN.com Blogs. By Fareed Zakaria, CNN. March 30, 2012.
Yeah, right on, Pat! Those conservative hippies were right after all. And that liberal, big-prison-spender, Nancy Reagan, with her "Just Say No" lock-em-up activism was wrong. And don't forget that liberal, big-prison-spender, Newt Gingrich and his drug war.
Baked? Music videos, internet radio, and more
Embedded music videos
|Music and videos. An admin's picks.|
|This has been moved here.|
|Some editors may prefer source-mode editing (wikitext editing, or Wikipedia-style source editing). Some browsers work better with it, too. To get to the source editor click any edit button. Then click the source tab at the top right of the editing window. You can disable the visual editor altogether in Special:Preferences (on the editing tab) if you are logged in.|