Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Share link: www.cannabis.wikia.com/eugene
Quezon City, Philippines. Nov. 13, 2016 march for medical cannabis . And: Insurers are beginning to cover medical cannabis. And: United Kingdom Could Be Forced to Consider Marijuana Legalization . And: Alec Baldwin Responds to Donald Trump's 'SNL' Criticism. And:
Social media, Facebook Edit
|Search for marijuana march videos. And more.|
|2016, 2015 Global Marijuana March. Crowd photos. Facebook|
- Oregon. Cannabis-related links
- willamettevalleynorml.org - Willamette Valley (Eugene, Oregon) NORML. Contacts. Feedback form.
City info Edit
- Google Maps: Eugene.
- Google images.
- Wikipedia: Eugene. See media section.
- Wikitravel: Eugene
- WeBeHigh.org: Cities by region and nation. By U.S. state. Or search.
- WeBeHigh.org -
- Media: mapinc.org/media.htm - Choose "Oregon" from dropdown menu.
- Facebook: Oregon Daily Emerald. Newspaper at University of Oregon in Eugene.
- dailyemerald.com - Oregon Daily Emerald. Letter to the editor. Wikipedia page.
- Other University of Oregon media.
- Facebook: Eugene Weekly
- eugeneweekly.com - Eugene Weekly. Click "Letters" link for latest ones. Contacts. Wikipedia page.
- registerguard.com - The Register-Guard (Eugene newspaper). Wikipedia page.
Global Marijuana March Edit
GMM (years signed up). This city participated or signed up one year (or more) for the Global Marijuana March (GMM), or the Million Marijuana March (MMM). 225 cities from 42 nations signed up for May 4, 2013 or thereabouts.175 cities from 33 nations signed up for May 5, 2012 or thereabouts. See also: 4/20 event lists. 877 different cities have signed up from 80 different nations since 1999.
|Global Marijuana March links.|
See GMM: basic city lists, detailed city lists, graphics, photos, maps, regions, links, years. Google images: Crowds, flyers: Marcha da Maconha. And: Marche Mondial du Cannabis. And: Global Marijuana March.
|2016, 2015 Global Marijuana March. Crowd photos. Facebook|
| Right-click any region for its city list.|
- Facebook: Global Marijuana March.
- Global Marijuana March with Jim Greig take II 04/29 by SFPI Radio | Blog Talk Radio.
Eugene: Jim Greig jimgreigads(at)yahoo.com 541 844 1220 or Dan Koozer: GMM(at)willametteValleyNORML.org 541 517-0957 http://www.willamettevalleyNORML.org Willamette Valley NORML, PO Box 10957, Eugene, Or 97440
GMM. Report (from old international GMM site):
On Saturday, May 5th, over 230 cities around the globe participated in the annual Global Marijuana March. In Eugene under partly cloudy skies, on a beautiful spring day about 100 enthusiastic supporters gathered in front of the old federal building at the corner of 7th and Pearl. The crowd was treated to a round of speeches by drug policy experts and marijuana/cannabis activists from across Oregon.
The focus of the speakers was of course directed at cannabis policies in the U.S. and in Oregon. Elvy Musikka, one of the first participants in the federal government's Compassionate Investigational New Drug program told how her eyesight has been saved by her ability to access cannabis legally. She receives a government issued tin of about 300 cannabis cigarettes every month from her pharmacist (about 1/2 pound) produced at the University of Mississippi. She utilizes cannabis as medicine to prevent further deterioration of her remaining sight.
Doug McVay, the Research Director and Projects Coordinator for Common Sense for Drug Policy, editor of the book Drug War Facts, and an Oregon resident, explained to the crowd the ways in which drug policy is confounded by our government's inability to enforce its own findings, preferring instead to maintain a policy based not on science but on perpetuating the fallacies of "Reefer Madness."
Jim Greig, Eugene resident and a registered patient in Oregon's Medical Marijuana Program (OMMP) was emcee. Greig's persistence and advocacy culminated in a Proclamation from Mayor Kitty Piercy proclaiming the day Medical Marijuana Awareness Day in Eugene. The announcement and reading of the Proclamation received the days loudest response from the crowd.
For 2 hours the assembled cannabis supporters heard rousing testimony as activists and patients gave their views on ways to change a system they all agreed was broken. Eugene resident and activist Allan Erickson gave a vivid demonstration of what he called the insanity of cannabis policy. Holding two hand-rolled cigarettes in the air he said "one is tobacco. A product that kills over 400,000 people a year, is highly addictive, is a known cause of cancer and can be bought anywhere in the country at most anytime of the day or night. The other is cannabis, pot, marijuana. A substance proving to be effective in fighting cancer, may be a preventative against cancer and effective for those fighting cancer who are in chemotherapy and undergoing heavy regimens of toxic pharmaceuticals."
The speech presented by John Sajo, executive director of Voter Power, a Portland based, statewide medical marijuana and voter education based group was an assessment of Oregon's OMMP and a preview of perhaps where Oregon may head in the future. Sajo explained how activists statewide have been battling discriminatory legislation that would allow employers to fire OMMP participants if they have positive drug tests that show marijuana use. He pointed out that employees who test positive for other prescribed medications will have their employment status protected while cannabis, even used with a doctor's recommendation would be a reason for termination.
Sajo went on to discuss which direction the state may head and outlined various efforts underway by state activists. He explained the possibility of dispensaries and how they may be implemented in the state. He praised the attending crowd for supporting the speakers and joining others in making their voices heard. He also praised those politicians in the state, many of whom are local like State Senators Vicki Walker, Floyd Prozanski, Bill Morrisette and others for their support of the truth and the plight of Oregonians for whom marijuana is effective.
Groups with representation at the event included Willamette Valley NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws), Oregon Green Free ( a medical cannabis support and education group with chapters statewide) and Voter Power. The consistent theme maintained throughout the day's speeches reinforced the medical efficacy of cannabis and the harmfulness of keeping cannabis wrongly classified as a schedule I substance under the Controlled Substances Act. They repeatedly stated that the science of cannabis overwhelmingly supports what patients who utilize the maligned weed continue to say. Marijuana is good medicine and no one should be arrested, harassed or imprisoned because of it.
As Arthur Livermore national director of The American Alliance for Medical Cannabis eloquently stated, quoting Martin Luther King, "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Cannabis is safer Edit
- Obama correctly said that cannabis is safer than alcohol. See: Cannabis is safer. He also said marijuana should be treated more as a public health issue than a criminal one. And: Obama signals support for legalizing medical marijuana. . See video.
- USA. 1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults are alcohol-related (disease, overdose, car crashes, falls, violence, etc). 87,798 per year, 2006 to 2010. .
See longer article: Cannabis is safer.
- Imagine if Mitt Romney had been elected President in 2012 instead of Obama.
- Obama on marijuana legalization. . "My suspicion is that you’re gonna see other states start looking at this". The Washington Post. Jan. 22, 2015.
- Obama administration asks Supreme Court to reject lawsuit filed by Republican governments in Oklahoma and Nebraska to stop legal marijuana in Colorado . December 2015.
Obama alone can not reschedule it Edit
- See main article: Obama alone can not reschedule marijuana.
Obama alone can not reschedule marijuana.  . Since HHS (Health and Human Services) and the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) have again declined to reschedule or deschedule cannabis, then only Congress can do so.
- Wikipedia: Removal of cannabis from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act.
- DEA Pulls Back From Calling Marijuana One Of The 'Most Dangerous Drugs'. By Cody Fenwick. August 16, 2016. Patch Media
- The Science behind the DEA's Long War on Marijuana. 19 April 2016. Scientific American. Unless Congress acts, the DEA has final say on rescheduling or descheduling marijuana.
- Medical Marijuana Advocates Rally to Loosen Restrictions. By Alicia Ault. 23 Mar 2016. Medscape. The committee leaders refuse hearings on CARERS bill to reschedule cannabis.
Pot Matters: For Legalization, Set Your Sights on the Senate. 23 Mar 2016. By Jon Gettman. "it will be helpful, and indeed crucial, for advancing legalization for Democrats to take control of the Senate."
- FDA Weighs in on Rescheduling Cannabis. By Ben Adlin. 28 Dec 2015. Leafly.
Drug-war mass incarceration Edit
|See: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate. And: Drug War, mandatory minimum sentencing, handguns. And: US incarceration peaked in 2008. And: Number of marijuana prisoners in the USA. And: List of countries and U.S. states by incarceration rate.
|The majority of people incarcerated in prisons and jails in the USA are in due to drug-related offenses, crimes to get money for drugs, or drug-related parole or probation violations. Wikipedia: Drug-related crime. The number of inmates in the USA has increased almost 5 times over since 1980. The USA has the highest incarceration rate of any nation b c (except for the tiny country of the Seychelles). Compare incarceration rates worldwide. The cost of the U.S. drug war is at least 1.5 trillion dollars. Cannabis is safer! Share link.|
|A Lot Of People Are Dying At This Understaffed Texas Jail. And: How the Money Bail System Perpetuates America’s Mass Incarceration Problem. And: Justice Department blasts ‘unconstitutional’ fixed bail schedules. Many innocent people in jail. And: Many marijuana users in jail without bail money.|
Canadian single-payer healthcare and Edit
Portuguese drug decriminalization Edit
|Business people for Single-payer Healthcare. Fed up with uncontrollable costs of U.S. healthcare.See:|
- Canada has saved trillions of dollars by eliminating the middleman, the health insurance companies.
|Canada's single-payer universal healthcare costs less per person than U.S. healthcare. 126.96.36.199.. For more countries and charts: 6.7.. And the USA has lower average life expectancy than the OECD average (OECD = developed economies). 8.. Click chart to enlarge:|
- Medical Bills Still Take A Big Toll in USA, Even With Insurance. NPR. March 8, 2016.
Green love Edit
- Abortion Rates Dropped Sharply. What Caused It?
- Free birth control under ObamaCare.
- Colorado’s Effort Against Teenage Pregnancies Is a Startling Success. Free birth control.
|Republicans think they can spend an infinite amount of money on health-insurance-company-based healthcare, and have an , to feed their appetite for , and for more inmates for more prisons for|
|As with cannabis legalization Colorado leads the way.. More info. 2.3..|