- Share link: democracy. This article was written by Timeshifter. See also: The U.S. Drug War. Republicans lead.
Most Americans want recreational cannabis legalized. A much larger majority want medical cannabis legalized. See cannabis polls.
But the government is actually run by a 40% minority. It is not a 50% plus one, simple-majority democracy. It takes a 60% majority vote in the Senate to get past a filibuster or other delaying tactic. See: Wikipedia: Dilatory motions and tactics.
It is a self-imposed Senate rule not found in the Constitution that could be overturned at any time by a simple majority vote in the Senate. See Wikipedia: Filibuster in the United States Senate.
State governors also have veto powers. Occasionally, cannabis reform measures get passed by state legislatures, but are often vetoed by governors. It usually takes a 3/5 or 2/3 majority vote to override a governor's veto.
It takes a two-thirds majority in Congress to override a Presidential veto. The U.S. is unique in this among Western democracies. And what's up with the lack of runoff voting for Presidential elections? It is common in other countries. Stopping the presidential dictatorship, via the Presidential veto, would require changing the constitution to eliminate the Presidential veto that requires a two-thirds majority in Congress to override it.
The USA has become a 1% kleptocracy run by special interest lobbyists and corporations (who are considered persons according to the law). As concerns cannabis: Big Pharma, police unions, private prisons, prison guard unions, alcohol and beer companies. Also known as the Prison-Industrial Complex and the alcohol-drug monopoly.
- The Top Five Special Interest Groups Lobbying To Keep Marijuana Illegal | Republic Report. April 20, 2012 article.
The power of these special interests has increased greatly since the 1980 election of Just-Say-No Ronald (6) Wilson (6) Reagan (6). By the way, are you still waiting for that Reagan-Revolution wealth to "trickle-down" from the 1%?
Concerning Obama, or any President. Federal prosecutors (U.S attorneys) are appointed by the President and serve 4 year terms. They are responsible for the crackdown on medical cannabis dispensaries in many states. They are independent and the only way to stop them is for the President to fire them. If a President fired a federal prosecutor over medical marijuana, his political opponents could say that he is subverting federal law. A President can suggest that they not prioritize federal resources going after medical cannabis users, and dispensaries following state law. The President can not change federal law though, and so federal prosecutors can do whatever they want.
Cannabis is safer Edit
- Obama correctly said that cannabis is safer than alcohol. See: Cannabis is safer. He also said marijuana should be treated more as a public health issue than a criminal one. And: Obama signals support for legalizing medical marijuana. . See video.
- USA. 1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults are alcohol-related (disease, overdose, car crashes, falls, violence, etc). 87,798 per year, 2006 to 2010. .
See longer article: Cannabis is safer.
- Imagine if Mitt Romney had been elected President in 2012 instead of Obama.
- Obama on marijuana legalization. . "My suspicion is that you’re gonna see other states start looking at this". The Washington Post. Jan. 22, 2015.
- Obama administration asks Supreme Court to reject lawsuit filed by Republican governments in Oklahoma and Nebraska to stop legal marijuana in Colorado . December 2015.
Presidents can not reschedule it Edit
- See main article: Presidents alone can not reschedule marijuana.
The president alone can not reschedule marijuana.  . Since HHS (Health and Human Services) and the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) have again declined to reschedule or deschedule cannabis, then only Congress can do so. But Congress removed help for veterans: . And Congressional committee leaders refuse hearings on CARERS bill to reschedule cannabis. See: Medical Marijuana Advocates Rally to Loosen Restrictions. By Alicia Ault. 23 Mar 2016. Medscape.
- Wikipedia: Drug Enforcement Administration. See "Criticism" section.
- Wikipedia: Removal of cannabis from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act.
- DEA Pulls Back From Calling Marijuana One Of The 'Most Dangerous Drugs'. By Cody Fenwick. August 16, 2016. Patch Media
- The Science behind the DEA's Long War on Marijuana. 19 April 2016. Scientific American. Unless Congress acts, the DEA has final say on rescheduling or descheduling marijuana.
- Pot Matters: For Legalization, Set Your Sights on the Senate. 23 Mar 2016. By Jon Gettman. "it will be helpful, and indeed crucial, for advancing legalization for Democrats to take control of the Senate." Maybe in 2018?
- FDA Weighs in on Rescheduling Cannabis. By Ben Adlin. 28 Dec 2015. Leafly.
Drug-war mass incarceration Edit
|See: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate. And: Drug War, mandatory minimum sentencing, handguns. And: US incarceration peaked in 2008. And: Number of marijuana prisoners in the USA. And: List of countries and U.S. states by incarceration rate.
|The majority of people incarcerated in prisons and jails in the USA are in due to drug-related offenses, crimes to get money for drugs, or drug-related parole or probation violations. Wikipedia: Drug-related crime. The number of inmates in the USA has increased almost 5 times over since 1980. The USA has the highest incarceration rate of any nation b c (except for the tiny country of the Seychelles). Compare incarceration rates worldwide. The cost of the U.S. drug war is at least 1.5 trillion dollars. Cannabis is safer! Share link.|
|A Lot Of People Are Dying At This Understaffed Texas Jail. And: How the Money Bail System Perpetuates America’s Mass Incarceration Problem. And: Justice Department blasts ‘unconstitutional’ fixed bail schedules. Many innocent people in jail. And: Many marijuana users in jail without bail money.|
Canadian single-payer healthcare and Edit
Portuguese drug decriminalization Edit
|Business people for Single-payer Healthcare. Fed up with uncontrollable costs of U.S. healthcare.See:|
- Canada has saved trillions of dollars by eliminating the middleman, the health insurance companies.
|Canada's single-payer universal healthcare costs less per person than U.S. healthcare. 22.214.171.124.. For more countries and charts: 6.7.. And the USA has lower average life expectancy than the OECD average (OECD = developed economies). 8.. Click chart to enlarge:|
- Medical Bills Still Take A Big Toll in USA, Even With Insurance. NPR. March 8, 2016.
Green love Edit
- Abortion Rates Dropped Sharply. What Caused It?
- Free birth control under ObamaCare.
- Colorado’s Effort Against Teenage Pregnancies Is a Startling Success. Free birth control.
|Republicans think they can spend an infinite amount of money on health-insurance-company-based healthcare, and have an , to feed their appetite for , and for more inmates for more prisons for|
|As with cannabis legalization Colorado leads the way.. More info. 2.3..|
2017 Global Marijuana March and 420 Edit
May 6, 2017, Saturday, or thereabouts. And April 20 (4/20), or thereabouts. Rallies and marches overall change public opinion for the better! See: Cannabis polls.
- 2017 Global Marijuana March and 420 events. - Worldwide.
- USA. 2017 Global Marijuana March and 420 city list. - USA.
- 420 event lists. - Worldwide.
|US states that have legalized|
as of November 2016 election.