- Share links: brutality and torture. This article was written by Timeshifter. See also: Wars and drug wars on demand. And: Race, ethnicity, and drug war.
Deaths, beatings, torture, rape, searches, disappearances, terror, control, solitary confinement, stop-and-frisk, arbitrary searches, etc..
"On July 17, 2014, NYPD Officer Daniel Pantaleo wrapped his arms around Eric Garner’s neck and squeezed. ... his final words, 'I can’t breathe,' became a rallying cry for the Black Lives Matter movement. ... a chokehold prohibited by the NYPD." - From this article:
Exclusive documents: The disturbing secret history of the NYPD officer who killed Eric Garner. By Carimah Townes. March 21, 2017. ThinkProgress.
- Wikipedia: Death of Eric Garner. "I can't breathe". Choked to death for selling "loosies" (single cigarettes) from packs without tax stamps.
- ‘I can’t breathe! I’m choking on my blood': Disturbing video of Black soldier dying in Texas jail. May 20, 2015 article. Died after "A two-day sentence for driving while intoxicated".
- Human Rights Defender Kerry Kennedy Detained, Threatened by Mexican Military | the narcosphere. By Bill Conroy. April 13, 2012. Robert F. Kennedy's Daughter Nearly Meets Tragic Fate at Drug-War Checkpoint.
- Solitary in Iran Nearly Broke Me. Then I Went Inside America's Prisons. By Shane Bauer. November/December 2012 Issue of Mother Jones.
Social media, Facebook
- Police the Police.
- Stop Police Brutality.
- National Police Misconduct Reporting Project.
- Police State USA: Land of the Checkpoints.
- Prison Reform Movement.
- Police Brutality. The Free Thought Project.
- Police Abuse Sky-Rockets In US, Tied To Drug War Policies.
- Police Brutality.
- Cop Block. See Drug war page too.
- Communities United Against Police Brutality.
- Police Brutality. Breaking News for Black America.
- 10 Shocking Incidents of Police Brutality Caught on Tape. CounterPunch.
- Cop watch -- Policing the Police. See forums too.
- Cop Spotting.
- ToxicCops - Cops Gone Bad.
- The Police Abuse Crisis. Veterans Against Police Abuse.
- Wikipedia: List of cases of police brutality. More links in "see also" section by country.
Searches, stop-and-frisks, harassment
- Young, Black and Frisked by the N.Y.P.D.. By Nicholas K. Peart. December 17, 2011. New York Times.
- Tougher drug laws mean nearly 1/3 arrested by age 23. By David Edwards. December 19, 2011. The Raw Story.
U.S. torture training in Mexico
- "Torture By Mexican Government In Drug War Highlights U.S. Loss of Credibility On Human Rights". See Youtube video.
- "The Washington Post reports today [July 9, 2009] that the Mexican government has employed numerous torture techniques to extract confessions from suspected drug traffickers. The techniques included beatings, suffocation with plastic bags, electric shocks, the insertion of needles under suspects’ finger nails, water torture, and other abuses."
Disappearances in Mexico
Ten thousand dead and counting: Ciudad Juarez, the Mexican city that’s deadlier than Afghanistan. Dec 27, 2011. National Post. Chilling images.
- "The human rights commission of the local state of Chihuahua registered 1,250 complaints of torture, forced disappearances and extrajudicial executions by the army during its two-year deployment in Ciudad Juarez. It counts 400 similar grievances against the federal police who moved in when the soldiers were pulled out. These numbers document only 20% of the violations taking place, it estimates."
- "Human Rights Watch found there were 921 investigations opened in the military justice system for abuses in Chihuahua between December 2006 and May 2011 — more than any other state. Charges were brought in only two cases and no sentences were handed were down."
- "In November, the New York-based Human Rights Watch issued a report documenting more than 200 cases of kidnapping, torture and extrajudicial killings by the military and police."
Graphic: The ever expanding death toll in Mexico’s sprawling drug war. Last updated: Nov 1, 2011. National Post.
Drug-suspect rape and torture by police in Indonesia. See the links to the media articles (and quotes) found in the 2010 and 2009 sections of this Cannabis Wiki article: Jakarta, Indonesia.
Torture by U.S. police
- Jury Selection Begins in Illinois Police Torture Trial. By Karen Hawkins, Associated Press Writer. May 23, 2010. ABC News.
4 days in DEA holding cell without water
Daniel Chong, U.S. Man Left In Cell For 4 Days, Entered 'Survival Mode'. By Julie Watson. May 3, 2012. Associated Press article and MSNBC video. This was all over the news. From the article: "People can die from dehydration in as little as three to seven days, said Dr. Wally Ghurabi at UCLA Medical Center in Santa Monica. Ghurabi said Chong was wise to drink his own urine to stay hydrated."
I tell you what I think happened. He was in a holding cell without a toilet and the DEA agents may have heard some muffled screams and figured it was just some suspect complaining, and so why not let him piss on himself while others were handling the paperwork. The info on the video is incredible. Staff walked by. Neighboring cells heard him and some told him to shut up. So staff must have heard him and ignored him. From the article: "A federal law enforcement official familiar with DEA operations said the agency's protocols require that cells be checked each night."
- An Alabama Prison’s Unrelenting Descent Into Violence. By Campbell Robertson. March 28, 2017. New York Times.
Juvenile inmates in the USA
- AP: 13,000 abuse claims in juvie centers - USATODAY.com. March 2, 2008. By Holbrook Mohr, Associated Press writer.
- "Torture Kids Instead". "The US state is a horrible parent; 12% of its 'detained' kids are sexually abused each year, versus 4% of adult prisoners. 0.3% of US non-prisoners report rape each year, versus a world median of ~0.05%."
- "Video shows deputy's alleged assault on teen girl." Article by KOMO-TV (an ABC affiliate in Seattle, Washington). See video. Deputy Shown Kicking Teen Girl. He hit her in the head while she was standing and while she was on the floor. He slammed her onto a concrete floor. He pulled her up by her hair.
- "King County deputy charged with fourth-degree assault on teen girl". By Mike Barber. Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
- "Former Deputy Paul Schene Says He Beat Teenage Girl Because He Was Afraid of Her". By Caleb Hannan. Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
- Forum: AP Raw Video: Deputy Shown Assaulting Teen Girl - Democratic Underground.
- ACLU Asks U.N. To Intervene On Behalf Of Montana Juvenile Prisoner - "placed in solitary confinement in the Montana State Prison when he was 17 and has been subjected to abuse so traumatizing that he has twice attempted to kill himself by biting through his wrist to puncture a vein. ... has been forbidden phone calls or visits with his family. Fellow inmates were so concerned for his well-being that they reached out to the ACLU of Montana for help on his behalf."
Police beatings and killings of youths and others
Multiple videos of various brutal beatings of youths and adults by U.S. police:
- Phoenix Police Officer Caught on Tape Body-Slamming Drunk Teen Girl. ABC News. See various videos down the left column. Search for victims Chad Holley (Houston), and Ronald Bell (Chicago) on Youtube. Search for officer Patrick Larrison (Phoenix).
- Maryland police beating student John McKenna until unconscious and bloody. Video is Associated Press report. See April 15, 2010 Daily Mail article: FBI launch investigation as shocking footage of police beating a student provokes outrage across the U.S.. By Paul Thompson.
- 'Help me,' homeless man begs as cops fatally beat him in videotaped incident. By the CNN Wire Staff. May 8, 2012. With video.
Senate votes for indefinite military detention of Americans
|44 Republicans, 15 Democrats, 1 Independent.|
See also: Newt Gingrich's deadly Drug War, extraordinary rendition, and Brutality and the Drug War. Also, "Night and Fog", the Nazi Germany program of disappearances, and indefinite military detention. Also, follow the money: Private prisons and private power.
- Senate Votes To Let Military Detain Americans Indefinitely, White House Threatens Veto. Nov. 29, 2011. Huffington Post.
- 60 senators betrayed you today, they authorized the indefinite suspension of habeus corpus (updated). WeAreChangeTV.us - Nov. 29, 2011.
- Bill Summary & Status - 112th Congress (2011 - 2012) - S.AMDT.1107. See list of Senators voting for and against. THOMAS (Library of Congress).
Torture and non-consensual human experimentation within the USA
Some people do not know the depth of the long sordid history of torture and non-consensual human experimentation within the USA. See Wikipedia: Unethical human experimentation in the United States. Watch this 2008 video by National Geographic: CIA Secret Experiments.  . It is about Project MKUltra. Click video to play it. It will enlarge. Video is also here and here.
2017 Global Marijuana March and 420
May 6, 2017, Saturday, or thereabouts. And April 20 (4/20), or thereabouts. Rallies and marches overall change public opinion for the better! See: Cannabis polls.
- 2017 Global Marijuana March and 420 events. - Worldwide.
- USA. 2017 Global Marijuana March and 420 city list. - USA.
- 420 event lists. - Worldwide.
|US states that have legalized|
as of November 2016 election.
Cannabis is safer
|Ronald Reagan, 1980 campaign speech 1: "Leading medical researchers are coming to the conclusion that marijuana, pot, grass, whatever you want to call it, is probably the most dangerous drug in the United States, and we haven't begun to find out all of the ill effects, but they are permanent ill effects. The loss of memory for example."|
- Obama correctly said that cannabis is safer than alcohol. See: Cannabis is safer. He also said marijuana should be treated more as a public health issue than a criminal one. And: Obama signals support for legalizing medical marijuana. . See video.
- USA. 1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults are alcohol-related (disease, overdose, car crashes, falls, violence, etc). 87,798 per year, 2006 to 2010. .
See longer article: Cannabis is safer.
- Imagine if Mitt Romney had been elected President in 2012 instead of Obama.
- Obama on marijuana legalization. . "My suspicion is that you’re gonna see other states start looking at this". The Washington Post. Jan. 22, 2015.
- Obama administration asks Supreme Court to reject lawsuit filed by Republican governments in Oklahoma and Nebraska to stop legal marijuana in Colorado . December 2015.
USA. Republican war on cannabis
The Cannabis War is over and the U.S. Republican Party has lost. They may not know it yet, so keep marching, lobbying, and voting! Please register and vote! See: Reagan's War on Cannabis. And: Drug war, control, and Republican-led income inequality. And: Alternatives to Republican-led mass incarceration.
Vermont's Republican Governor Scott Vetoes Marijuana Legalization bill of Democrat legislature. May 24, 2017. And: New Mexico's Republican governor vetoes a bill that would have allowed medical marijuana for opioid addiction. April 7, 2017. And: New Mexico's Republican governor vetoes the 911 Good Samaritan Overdose Prevention Bill. April 7, 2017. And: Idaho's Republican governor vetoes a broadly-supported asset forfeiture reform bill. April 7, 2017.
|U.S. Republican Party: Greed, Ground Wars, Drug Wars, and Mass Incarceration.|
- Missouri's Republican governor signs state law lowering St. Louis minimum wage. . July 3, 2017. And: Iowa's Republican governor signs law overturning local minimum wage increases. March 30, 2017.
Presidents alone can not reschedule it
- See main article: Presidents alone can not reschedule marijuana.
The president alone can not reschedule marijuana.  . Since HHS (Health and Human Services) and the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) have again declined to reschedule or deschedule cannabis, then only Congress can do so. But Congress removed help for veterans: . And Congressional committee leaders refuse hearings on CARERS bill to reschedule cannabis. See: Medical Marijuana Advocates Rally to Loosen Restrictions. By Alicia Ault. 23 Mar 2016. Medscape.
- Wikipedia: Drug Enforcement Administration. See "Criticism" section.
- Wikipedia: Removal of cannabis from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act.
- DEA Removes Marijuana Misinformation From Website After Months of Pressure. By Steve Elliott. Feb 13, 2017.
- DEA Pulls Back From Calling Marijuana One Of The 'Most Dangerous Drugs'. By Cody Fenwick. August 16, 2016. Patch Media
- The Science behind the DEA's Long War on Marijuana. 19 April 2016. Scientific American. Unless Congress acts, the DEA has final say on rescheduling or descheduling marijuana.
- Pot Matters: For Legalization, Set Your Sights on the Senate. 23 Mar 2016. By Jon Gettman. "it will be helpful, and indeed crucial, for advancing legalization for Democrats to take control of the Senate." Maybe in 2018?
- FDA Weighs in on Rescheduling Cannabis. By Ben Adlin. 28 Dec 2015. Leafly.
Drug war, control, mass incarceration
|See: Drug war, control, and Republican-led income inequality. And: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate. And: Drug War, mandatory minimum sentencing, handguns. And: US incarceration peaked in 2008. And: Number of marijuana prisoners in the USA. And: List of countries and U.S. states by incarceration rate.
|The majority of people incarcerated in prisons and jails in the USA are in due to drug-related offenses, crimes to get money for drugs, or drug-related parole or probation violations. Wikipedia: Drug-related crime. The number of inmates in the USA has increased almost 5 times over since 1980. The USA has the highest incarceration rate of any nation b c (except for the tiny country of the Seychelles). Compare incarceration rates worldwide. The cost of the U.S. drug war is at least 1.5 trillion dollars. Cannabis is safer! Share link.|
|A Lot Of People Are Dying At This Understaffed Texas Jail. And: How the Money Bail System Perpetuates America’s Mass Incarceration Problem. 2. And: Justice Department blasts ‘unconstitutional’ fixed bail schedules. Many innocent people in jail. And: Many marijuana users in jail without bail money.|
|Rundle Won't Charge Prison Guards Who Allegedly Boiled Schizophrenic Black Man to Death for 2 Hours in Shower. Death Ruled An Accident. Documents Show They Omitted Key Details. Florida inmate in for cocaine possession. 2345. Due to lack of single-payer universal healthcare the mentally ill end up incarcerated and untreated. Prison costs far more than caring for them to begin with. For their non-violent offenses three-quarters of Americans favor ‘rehabilitation’ over jail time, survey finds. |
- Abortion Rates Dropped Sharply. What Caused It?
- Free birth control under ObamaCare.
- Colorado’s Effort Against Teenage Pregnancies Is a Startling Success. Free birth control.
|Republicans think they can spend an infinite amount of money on health-insurance-company-based healthcare, and have an , to feed their appetite for , and for more inmates for more prisons for|
|Wikipedia: Population milestone babies.|
|As with cannabis legalization Colorado leads the way.. More info. 2.3..|
Single Payer. Half the cost of Trumpcare
20 million uninsured: 20,000+ deaths yearly
Portugal. Few die of overdoses
- Bernie Sanders' projection of 'thousands' of deaths from lost health coverage is well-supported. By Louis Jacobson. June 27, 2017. Politifact. See article sidebar for many sources. .
- See: Canadian single-payer healthcare and Portuguese drug decriminalization.
Portugal has decriminalized all drugs. Like Canada it has universal healthcare. See: Portugal. Cannabis-related links. See: Wikipedia: Drug policy of Portugal and Wikipedia: Health in Portugal. Nearly all of the European Union (EU) has universal healthcare. . See: List of countries with universal health care.
Source for above chart: Are any conservatives in the US for a single payer and a universal health care system, or can they not coexist? Chart is from comment around March 11, 2017 by Dan Munro, "author of Casino Healthcare and Forbes contributor".
Canada passes US in middle-class wealth. Median after-tax middle-class income in Canada is higher. . Why? Canadians pay so much less for far better healthcare. And:
The $0 Alternative To Trumpcare. See chart below. USA versus top ten healthiest nations.
2015 article by Chris Ingraham. Chart below is from the article.
"The country has 3 overdose deaths per million citizens, compared to the EU average of 17.3."
- Overdose stats for the rest of the world.
- Wikipedia charts: Drug-related death statistics. See the upload page.
- Overdose Death Rates. National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). Charts.
- These Are the Drugs That Cause the Most Overdose Deaths. Chart.
- Our nation’s drug overdose problem, in five bleak charts.
- How the opioid epidemic became America’s worst drug crisis ever, in 15 maps and charts.