- Link: http://www.myspace.com/hsunorml
City info Edit
- Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Arcata
- Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcata,_California
- Wikitravel: http://wikitravel.org/en/Arcata
- WeBeHigh.com: http://www.webehigh.com - home page lists all cities.
This city participated or signed up one year (or more) for the Global Marijuana March (GMM), or the Million Marijuana March (MMM). 225 cities from 42 nations signed up for May 4, 2013 or thereabouts.175 cities from 33 nations signed up for May 5, 2012 or thereabouts. See also: 4/20 event lists. 872 different cities have signed up from 80 different nations since 1999.
|Global Marijuana March links.|
See GMM: basic city lists, detailed city lists, graphics, photos, maps, regions, links, years. Google images: Crowds, flyers: Marcha da Maconha. And: Marche Mondial du Cannabis. And: Global Marijuana March.
|2016, 2015 Global Marijuana March. Crowd photos. Facebook|
| Right-click any region for its city list.|
Arcata: Raphen J. Ilweed (707)362-1432 hsunorml(at)gmail.com http://hsunorml.org . Meet at 14th St & L.K.Wood Blvd. at 11am.
Arcata GMM: Jason Robo normlhsu(at)gmail.com 707-709-8421
420 event video:
- Report (from old GMM site):
Approximately 20 people gathered in front of Humboldt State University’s main gates Saturday morning before marching to The Arcata Plaza to promote the legalization of cannabis.
The rally was organized by HSU’s chapter of NORML, or the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.
The event was scheduled to coincide with a worldwide day of protests as part of the 2007 Global Marijuana March.
Many of the demonstrators present felt that too much money and resources are being wasted on enforcing marijuana laws, diverting attention away from other issues.
“There are a lot more really important issues to deal with,” said Gabe Shames, an HSU student and legislative member of NORML.
Shames gave an example of the shutting down of a homeless shelter.
Other demonstrators advocated the use of cannabis for medicinal purposes, and the use of hemp products as an environmentally friendly alternative to conventional construction products and paper-making processes.
Some said cannabis could be used to feed the hungry, providing a source of omega nutrients.
Jason Robo, president of HSU’s NORML, said California currently provides a large amount of funding to the prison industrial complex and that the California State University system loses federal funding when marijuana laws are enforced on campuses.
Robo said the drug war is racist, disproportionately affecting a large number of minorities, and takes funding away from other areas, such as education.
“It’s not productive to our economy,” he said.
Nathan Lou, an HSU botany major who also studies cannabis, said the protest was a gathering of everyone who has a similar mind-set about cannabis and the reasons it should be legalized.
Lou said it is unfortunate to see the health and well-being of the planet being sacrificed when an environmentally friendly product like marijuana is available, yet remains illegal.
“Not only is it right, it’s necessary for evolution,” he said.
By Cerena Johnson
- Report (from old GMM site):
We assembled outside of the main entry gates of Humboldt State University in Arcata, CA. One hour later, when our numbers had grown, we mobilized and marched into the town plaza where farmer's market was being held. We marched around the plaza and distributed flyers about how the war on marijuana is immoral. In the huge crowds of the farmer's market, our faction eventually broke off from one another and that was how the march ended. It was successful.
Other years Edit
Cannabis is safer Edit
- Obama correctly said that cannabis is safer than alcohol. See: Cannabis is safer. He also said marijuana should be treated more as a public health issue than a criminal one. And: Obama signals support for legalizing medical marijuana. . See video.
- USA. 1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults are alcohol-related (disease, overdose, car crashes, falls, violence, etc). 87,798 per year, 2006 to 2010. .
See longer article: Cannabis is safer.
- Imagine if Mitt Romney had been elected President in 2012 instead of Obama.
- Obama on marijuana legalization. . "My suspicion is that you’re gonna see other states start looking at this". The Washington Post. Jan. 22, 2015.
- Obama administration asks Supreme Court to reject lawsuit filed by Republican governments in Oklahoma and Nebraska to stop legal marijuana in Colorado . December 2015.
Obama alone can not reschedule it Edit
- See main article: Obama alone can not reschedule marijuana.
Obama alone can not reschedule marijuana.  . Since HHS (Health and Human Services) and the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) have again declined to reschedule or deschedule cannabis, then only Congress can do so.
- Wikipedia: Removal of cannabis from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act.
- DEA Pulls Back From Calling Marijuana One Of The 'Most Dangerous Drugs'. By Cody Fenwick. August 16, 2016. Patch Media
- The Science behind the DEA's Long War on Marijuana. 19 April 2016. Scientific American. Unless Congress acts, the DEA has final say on rescheduling or descheduling marijuana.
- Medical Marijuana Advocates Rally to Loosen Restrictions. By Alicia Ault. 23 Mar 2016. Medscape. The committee leaders refuse hearings on CARERS bill to reschedule cannabis.
Pot Matters: For Legalization, Set Your Sights on the Senate. 23 Mar 2016. By Jon Gettman. "it will be helpful, and indeed crucial, for advancing legalization for Democrats to take control of the Senate."
- FDA Weighs in on Rescheduling Cannabis. By Ben Adlin. 28 Dec 2015. Leafly.
2016 election and marches Edit
2016 Global Marijuana March and 420 events. Public opinion wins elections. So get out and march!
|Register and vote for cannabis in 2016.|
|Republicans are busy filing retrograde drug bills across the land. Republicans want to put a conservative drug warrior on the Supreme Court to replace Antonin Scalia, and to reinvigorate their drug war. Supreme Court rejects conservative challenge to Colorado marijuana law from Republican states. 2.|
USA Today: 11 states least likely to legalize marijuana. Republican states across the nation.
|Marijuana in the South: A State-by-State Guide. Republicans created a THC-free south.|
Drug-war mass incarceration Edit
|See: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate. And: Drug War, mandatory minimum sentencing, handguns. And: US incarceration peaked in 2008. And: Number of marijuana prisoners in the USA. And: List of countries and U.S. states by incarceration rate.
|The majority of people incarcerated in prisons and jails in the USA are in due to drug-related offenses, crimes to get money for drugs, or drug-related parole or probation violations. Wikipedia: Drug-related crime. The number of inmates in the USA has increased almost 5 times over since 1980. The USA has the highest incarceration rate of any nation b c (except for the tiny country of the Seychelles). Compare incarceration rates worldwide. The cost of the U.S. drug war is at least 1.5 trillion dollars. Cannabis is safer! Share link.|
|A Lot Of People Are Dying At This Understaffed Texas Jail. And: How the Money Bail System Perpetuates America’s Mass Incarceration Problem. And: Justice Department blasts ‘unconstitutional’ fixed bail schedules. Many innocent people in jail.|
Canadian single-payer healthcare and Edit
Portuguese drug decriminalization Edit
|ColoradoCare. 2. It would cover all residents and cost less than the current system. One primary payer, and no deductibles and no co-pays. See: Business people for Single-payer Healthcare. Fed up with uncontrollable costs of U.S. healthcare.On ballot in 2016:|
- Canada has saved trillions of dollars by eliminating the middleman, the health insurance companies.
|Canada's single-payer universal healthcare costs less per person than U.S. healthcare. 126.96.36.199.. For more countries and charts: 6.7.. And the USA has lower average life expectancy than the OECD average (OECD = developed economies). 8.. Click chart to enlarge:|
- Medical Bills Still Take A Big Toll in USA, Even With Insurance. NPR. March 8, 2016.
Green love Edit
- Abortion Rates Dropped Sharply. What Caused It?
- Free birth control under ObamaCare.
- Colorado’s Effort Against Teenage Pregnancies Is a Startling Success. Free birth control.
|Republicans think they can spend an infinite amount of money on health-insurance-company-based healthcare, and have an , to feed their appetite for , and for more inmates for more prisons for|
|As with cannabis legalization Colorado leads the way.. More info. 2.3..|
More info Edit