- Share link: Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Social media, Facebook Edit
- Annual Amsterdam 420 Smoke-out (official group).
- #AMS420 Smoke-Out 4-20-2013.
- Nessuna condanna, per una canna.
- The Cannabis College.
- Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum.
|Search for marijuana march videos. And more.|
|2016, 2015 Global Marijuana March. Crowd photos. Facebook|
- Netherlands. Cannabis-related links.
- Coffeeshop map. Resource for planning a trip, or using in Amsterdam.
- Amsterdam 420 Smoke-Out protest + 420 Festival & After-Party
- cannabis bevrijdingsdag (Cannabis Liberation Day).
- cannabis tribunaal
- vereniging voor opheffing cannabisverbod
- vereniging voor cannabis consumenten (vvcc)
- cannabis college
- Hash marihuana and hemp museum.
- legalize.net/allphotos.php - photos for many Amsterdam events.
- Cannabis Seeds
City info Edit
- Google Maps: Amsterdam.
- Google images.
- Wikipedia: Amsterdam.
- Wikitravel: Amsterdam.
- Amsterdam coffeeshop directory Great guide to all the coffeeshops.
- WeBeHigh.org - Amsterdam.
Like in the rest of the country, cannabis consumption is (almost) legal in the city. Of all places in the country though, Amsterdam is the most liberal when it comes to smoking your stuff. In practice this amounts to a very high concentration of 'Coffeeshops' in the centre of the city and the fact that you can smoke a joint anywhere out on the streets. Legal as in "tolerated". It is still "the pure crime". Also you are only allowed to buy 5 grams a day in a coffeeshop.
Although all coffeeshops DO sell coffee, that's not the reason for visiting them. Coffeeshops are the only places in town that are legally allowed to sell cannabis products (stuff that you buy in tourist shops that have cannabis leaves printed on them (like cannabis lollipops and stuff) will NOT have any cannabis in them). Coffeeshops come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, from dark brown, old-fashioned Dutch bars to high-life, fancily decorated coffeeshops with designer furniture and of course the rastafari-themed shops filled with green/red/yellow decorations and Bob Marley posters.
Coffeeshops generally have two menu's: A drinks menu and a cannabis menu. A lot of coffeeshops will have quite an elaborate drinks menu that features various fruit juices (sometimes freshly squeezed), various kinds of tea and coffee, soft drinks and chocolate milk. As from late 2007, there are no more coffeeshops with a licence to sell alcohol.
The quantity and quality of different kinds of weed and hash on sale differs between coffeeshops. Some shops feature only organic weeds, others feature a lot of imports, still others focus on many kinds of hashish. Some are expensive while others are cheap. There are certain kinds of weed (White Widow, Some kinds of haze) and hashish (Moroccan, (super) polm) that will be on sale practically everywhere and their prices give you a good idea of how 'expensive' the shop is on the whole. (for instance: White Widow (which is a great variety left from the nineties) should generally not be sold for more than €8 (8 Euros),- a gram and is normally priced around €7,- a gram).
You are required to consume something in a coffeeshop. When you bring your own weed, you are expected to buy drinks.
I will give a very short list of my favourite shops here with a little description. If anybody has any more favourites, just put 'em up here:
Abraxas: Pretty large shop with some nice decorations. It's always pretty busy here on weekends but that's no surprise: they have a large selection of weed/hash and there are couches lined with Persian tapestry all around the shop. Just sit back, relax, and talk with some of the people on the couches around you, it's easy to socialize there.
Kadinsky: It's a chain of coffeeshops. Normally they're pretty small, with a fashionable and clean minimalist interior. It's a bit posh here compared to other shops but they generally have good service, good seats, large windows and laid-back music with laid-back atmosphere.
The Jolly Joker: On one of the corners of the Nieuwmarkt, this is an old Dutch brown bar. The selection of weed is limited but they stock standard good stuff at a very affordable price. You get a nice view of the marketplace and the wooden interior is not like most other shops.
Rookies: Near Leidseplein. They're not cheap, but their selection of all organic weeds is quite perfect. Their house brand (simply called 'Rookies') is my favourite weed; quite potent and completely uplifting. They also have vaporizers here.
Mellow Yellow: Quite well known with the locals. There's nothing special here actually, but there's a good atmosphere there. They have an elaborate menu with weeds and hashish in every price range. Their deal on Super Polm is the best in the city: 2.5 grams for €11,-!
De Dampkring: The name of this shop is the Dutch word for 'Atmosphere' and literally translates to 'The Circle of Fumes'. It's probably the most expensive shop in town but it's decorated interior is unsurpassed. Made to look like it's made from fairytale-like tree stumps on the outside and with an interior made completely out of illuminated, organic shapes in yellow, red, orange and green, this is something special. Their menu is very elaborate and they have a large selection of very high-potent weeds and hashish. Again, these are all more expensive than anywhere else in the city but this place is still worth checking out.
My advice: Don't spend more than €10,- or €11,- on a gram. Even the most potent weeds like Super Silver Haze, Buddha Haze etc. are sold for about €11,- although some places charge silly prices for them.
La Tertulia: A coffeeshop annex gallery on the Prinsengracht with a beautiful indoor "mineral garden" . A relaxed atmosphere and reasonable prices, with a terrace outside for when the weather permits it.
The legal issue Edit
In short: Nobody has full knowledge of the precise legal status of cannabis products in Holland, mainly because all municipalities are allowed to regulate the sale as they see fit, however there are some general rules that uphold anywhere in the country:
- You are allowed to possess a small quantity of weed or hashish. Having 5 grams or less on you at any time is perfectly alright and police won't check for larger quantities on you unless you give them a reason (like causing public disturbance or ignoring traffic lights). Police are not looking for anybody that has weed on them, nowhere.
- You are allowed to buy weed at coffeeshops, that's it. They are allowed to sell you a maximum of 5 grams per day.
- It follows that you are not allowed to sell cannabis products yourself.
- In some places (like Amsterdam) you can smoke almost anywhere on the streets. In some other places you are not allowed to just puff away anywhere you want. When somebody asks you to stop smoking your joint either because that's against local regulations OR because they don't want people smoking in front of their property (bar/store/restaurant) you are legally required to comply.
- You are not allowed to take weed across the border but there's no checkpoint at any EU-border. It is known that there are controls on the highway. Possession of small amounts is not considered a legal offense in some places (like Germany or Belgium) but it is in other places (like France). See: Legality of cannabis by country. This does not include smuggeling.
Global Marijuana March Edit
GMM (years signed up). This city participated or signed up one year (or more) for the Global Marijuana March (GMM), or the Million Marijuana March (MMM). 225 cities from 42 nations signed up for May 4, 2013 or thereabouts.175 cities from 33 nations signed up for May 5, 2012 or thereabouts. See also: 4/20 event lists. 872 different cities have signed up from 80 different nations since 1999.
|Global Marijuana March links.|
See GMM: basic city lists, detailed city lists, graphics, photos, maps, regions, links, years. Google images: Crowds, flyers: Marcha da Maconha. And: Marche Mondial du Cannabis. And: Global Marijuana March.
|2016, 2015 Global Marijuana March. Crowd photos. Facebook|
| Right-click any region for its city list.|
- ENJOINT.com » 420 Smoke Out Amsterdam.
- #AMS420 - 'Smoke-Out' Program Infopage US/UK.
- Facebook: Cannabis Brevijdingsdag 2013
April 20, 2012:
- Cannabis Tolerance Endangered In Netherlands; Protest Planned. By Steve Elliott. December 21, 2011 article.
GMM, May 8:
- Facebook: Worldwide Global Marijuana March 2011.
- YouTube search: Cannabis bevrijdingsdag 2011 (Cannabis liberation day 2011).
-- VOC | Vereniging voor Opheffing van het Cannabisverbod:
- Photos: Foto-serie Cannabis Bevrijdingsdag II.
- Photos: Heel veel foto’s van Cannabis Bevrijdingsdag: de VOC-mentaliteit in beeld.
- Volledig programma Cannabis Bevrijdingsdag.
- Kom naar Amsterdam op 8 mei en vier onze cannabiscultuur!
- Facebook: Stand up and speak out Netherlands rally.
8 Mei Cannabis Bevrijdingsdag (Cannabis Liberation Day), Westergasfabriek terrein, Amsterdam.
- Link: http://www.cannabisbevrijdingsdag.org
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=101821423189542&ref=ts
9 Mei Cannabis Bevrijdingsdag (Cannabis Liberation Day), Museumplein, Amsterdam.
Amsterdam: Rob - Cyberskeu@gmail.com, Jeroen - Keesthemad@gmail.com Meet up!
- Link: http://www.cannabisbevrijdingsdag.org
- Media: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/05/10/2565707.htm
Rob - Cyberskeu(at)gmail.com <Cyberskeu(at)gmail.com>, Jeroen - Keesthemad(at)gmail.com <Keesthemad(at)gmail.com> Meet up!
- Report (from old GMM site):
Due to various goings on here in cannabisland, it's been very hard to generate any interest. Some great new people came along and we all agreed that it would be shameful not to have a protest in Amsterdam. Especially because of the current repressive situation.
So in just 10 days we put an impromptu gathering together on Damsquare. About 150 people gathered and Evert was there with his mobile vaporiser people from the Ccollege. Signature gathering, nice weather and a peaceful gathering fairly left alone by the police. How unlike Antwerp and Moskou/Brazil.
Legalize! Street RaveEdit
June 10, 2006:
- Photos: http://goa.trance.fotopic.net/c987023_1.html
- Newsletter-flyer: http://www.legalize.net/warondrugs/p059%20legalize.pdf
- Photos: http://www.legalize.net/more_news.php?item=2&more=1
November 21, 2006:
"Grass-A-Matazz is a, free-of-charge, jazz & Blues event, held during the annual High Times Cannabis Cup in Amsterdam (NL). The Grass-A-Matazz party celebrates, and keeps alive, the connection between Jazz & Marijuana."
- -- Above quote is from this report:
Global Marijuana March Edit
May 7, 2005:
Bush's welcome to the Netherlands.
Report (from old GMM site):
Report from Amsterdam
On the 7th of May, Bush visited the Netherlands. Worldwide over 181 cities are demonstrating against HIS cannabis policy under the banner of: MMM, the Million Marijuana March!
We were intending to hold a demonstration on the Dam Square but were prohibited from doing so by our city council. We asked for this MMM demonstration even before anybody knew Bush would be around.
As soon as we heard the news that he was coming we decided to hook up with the www.stopbush.nl demonstration to organise against this very dubious and unwanted visit from Bush.
5.000 people showed up despite terrible weather. One of Legalize's board members D.C Lama, and the famous Dutch rapper Def P. sang a song together condemning Bush's drugs policy and the Legalize! truck at the end of the demonstration parade warmed everyone up!
Legalize it street rave Edit
June 4, 2005:
Legalize it street rave Edit
June 5, 2004:
Report and many links:
Description and photo links:
Saturday June 5, 2004 Legalize! Street Rave. Amsterdam.
- Preview from above link (spelling corrected):
- Legalize! Event at: International Court of Justice in The Hague, the famous Vredespaleis (Peace-Palace). The two Saturdays following May 6 Legalize! we will have similar demonstrations in two more Dutch towns. On May 27th we will stage our yearly (4th!) 'Legalize! Street party against the Global War on Drugs' in Amsterdam with a number of mobile sound systems. We will also do our normal parade across the Amsterdam center of town!
- E-Mail: rappa(at)casema.net
- Web: http://www.legalise.org
Cannabis is safer Edit
- Obama correctly said that cannabis is safer than alcohol. See: Cannabis is safer. He also said marijuana should be treated more as a public health issue than a criminal one. And: Obama signals support for legalizing medical marijuana. . See video.
- USA. 1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults are alcohol-related (disease, overdose, car crashes, falls, violence, etc). 87,798 per year, 2006 to 2010. .
See longer article: Cannabis is safer.
- Imagine if Mitt Romney had been elected President in 2012 instead of Obama.
- Obama on marijuana legalization. . "My suspicion is that you’re gonna see other states start looking at this". The Washington Post. Jan. 22, 2015.
- Obama administration asks Supreme Court to reject lawsuit filed by Republican governments in Oklahoma and Nebraska to stop legal marijuana in Colorado . December 2015.
Obama alone can not reschedule it Edit
- FDA Weighs in on Rescheduling Cannabis. By Ben Adlin. 28 Dec 2015. Leafly.
- Medical Marijuana Advocates Rally to Loosen Restrictions. By Alicia Ault. 23 Mar 2016. Medscape. Republican committee leaders refuse hearings and votes on CARERS bill to reschedule cannabis.
Pot Matters: For Legalization, Set Your Sights on the Senate. 23 Mar 2016. By Jon Gettman. "it will be helpful, and indeed crucial, for advancing legalization for Democrats to take control of the Senate."
- The Science behind the DEA's Long War on Marijuana. 19 April 2016. Scientific American. Unless Congress acts, the DEA has final say on rescheduling or descheduling marijuana.
2016 election and marches Edit
2016 Global Marijuana March and 420 events. Public opinion wins elections. So get out and march!
|Register and vote for cannabis in 2016.|
|Republicans are busy filing retrograde drug bills across the land. Republicans want to put a conservative drug warrior on the Supreme Court to replace Antonin Scalia, and to reinvigorate their drug war. Supreme Court rejects conservative challenge to Colorado marijuana law from Republican states. 2.|
USA Today: 11 states least likely to legalize marijuana. Republican states across the nation.
|Marijuana in the South: A State-by-State Guide. Republicans created a THC-free south.|
Drug-war mass incarceration Edit
|See: Drug war causes high U.S. incarceration rate. And: Drug War, mandatory minimum sentencing, handguns. And: US incarceration peaked in 2008. And: Number of marijuana prisoners in the USA. And: List of countries and U.S. states by incarceration rate.
|The majority of people incarcerated in prisons and jails in the USA are in due to drug-related offenses, crimes to get money for drugs, or drug-related parole or probation violations. Wikipedia: Drug-related crime. The number of inmates in the USA has increased almost 5 times over since 1980. The USA has the highest incarceration rate of any nation b c (except for the tiny country of the Seychelles). Compare incarceration rates worldwide. The cost of the U.S. drug war is at least 1.5 trillion dollars. Cannabis is safer! Share link.|
Canadian single-payer healthcare and Edit
Portuguese drug decriminalization Edit
|ColoradoCare. 2. It would cover all residents and cost less than the current system. One primary payer, and no deductibles and no co-pays. See: Business people for Single-payer Healthcare. Fed up with uncontrollable costs of U.S. healthcare.On ballot in 2016:|
- Canada has saved trillions of dollars by eliminating the middleman, the health insurance companies.
|Canada's single-payer universal healthcare costs less per person than U.S. healthcare. 220.127.116.11.. For more countries and charts: 6.7.. And the USA has lower average life expectancy than the OECD average (OECD = developed economies). 8.. Click chart to enlarge:|
- Medical Bills Still Take A Big Toll in USA, Even With Insurance. NPR. March 8, 2016.
Green love Edit
- Abortion Rates Dropped Sharply. What Caused It?
- Free birth control under ObamaCare.
- Colorado’s Effort Against Teenage Pregnancies Is a Startling Success. Free birth control.
|Republicans think they can spend an infinite amount of money on health-insurance-company-based healthcare, and have an , to feed their appetite for , and for more inmates for more prisons for|
|As with cannabis legalization Colorado leads the way.. More info. 2.3..|